NAS 19" Supermicro 12TB under 1000€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
I got crazy 2 (+2) days looking around...I finally decided for this:

By the way....I just realized today that I :eek: CANNOT use my 16GB KNX1600C9D3K4 ...'cause the mainboard support ONLY UDIMM ECC......:mad:

Even if the ram is not in Supermicro website compatibility list, I found on Kingston site that is reported as compatible....if it's not I will be veeeeeery angry!!! :mad::mad:

Case Supermicro CSE 731i 300B.............................................................................................90.90

Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-FO dual gbit skt 1155...................... ...........................................176.32

Intel Pentium G2130 Prozessor Box (3200 MHz, L3-Cache, Sockel 1155)...........................56.90 (passmark 1730 vs 1560 of G2020 for only 7 € more)

Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G..........................................................................................142.97

TOTAL DISKLESS ..................................................................................................................467.09

ST3000NC002 3TB x4.......................................142.89 x4.....................................................571.56

TOTAL ..........................................................................................................................:eek: ...1038.65 <--so long to the "UNDER 1000€"

* CASE and MAINBOARD on Amazon.de
* CPU on Amazon.co.uk
* DISKS on Amazon.fr price
* RAM not ordered (Idon't need/I have it) price checked on Amazon.de
All prices are valid on 25/11/2013

All HDD are certified to work with supermicro MB, Ram is reported compatible on Kingston website but on the SUPERMICRO website I didn't found any information about this kit.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, I'd ditch the Celeron and go with the g2020. Celeron's don't make good CPUs for FreeNAS. The g2020 works very well so long as you don't plan to do something like transcode videos with the plex addon.

Second, your l2arc shouldn't exceed 5x your ARC size(or roughly 80% of your system RAM). So a 120GB L2ARC is not even recommended at your motherboard's max of 32GB of RAM. If you consult the manual it tells you to max out your RAM before you consider using an L2ARC, and for good reason. If you have too much L2ARC relative to your ARC you can make performance worse. If you were at 32GB of RAM I'd recommend an 80GB l2arc at the most.

Third, those hard drives are 7200RPM drives. If you plan to use ESXi + NFS or iSCSI you might want the higher RPM. If you don't plan to do either of those(aka home use) you should consider lower RPM drives. Higher RPM drives will run hotter and to keep them below that famed 40C you'll need even more cooling for your disks. That translates to more and faster fans which means more noise.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
Thanks for your advice.

I changed the case because the antec was too much long to be fitted in a wallmount rack so I opted for a different solution (Don't know if this supermicro Iwill rack it...we'll see...)
About the processor there is a 3% difference in performance but I follow your advice buying the G2020....because I trust you in the compatibility matter , anyway the price is the same (thanks!)
The SSD is the most little certified by supermicro ....but for sure I can try to buy an SSD 80GB and see if it's working

I'm not planning to virtualize...this build is just for storage and to serve as a SAMBA disk for XBMC (movies....photos...)
Noise is not a problem ....It will be installed in my keller (basement ? ....you got the idea...) and soon it will have 2 cisco 3550 and 2 cisco 1841 to keep him company! :) (cisco are for labs only ...)

For the moment I will install 16GB Kingston 1600 NON-ECC (I know...i know....but I have it mint in the box since 2012......) and then if my wife will ever speak to me again after this build, I'll ask her If I can buy some ECC (In the build I reported 8GB ECC for the sake of example but I will not buy it for the moment...)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For your intended function an L2ARC is pointless. I wouldn't even spend money on an SSD. L2ARCs help with high IOPS situations. You won't see that for a home system.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
thanks for the info, I'll invest in RAM then. (ECC of course....)

Do you know if it's possible branch some Butterfly labs Jalapeno ASIC and mine with CGMiner? I would like to use the freenas that is always on for this. At the moment I'm using a Raspberry PI but I would like to use it as XBMC player (fetching the movies stored in the NAS)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If there's freeBSD support and you are familiar with FreeBSd you could probably get it to work. But judging from the question you are asking my guess is you don't have the skills to do it.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
I don't have the capacity but don't underestimate my congenital italian "stubborness" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.