Mysterious reboot and then BAM! Permanent errors and degraded volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stranded Camel

Explorer
ECC is the answer. There may also be a special tunable you can turn on that causes ZFS to do extra checking in memory, but it can't provide guarantees.

Yeah, and if I lived in the US I'd use it, along with the right mobo. But as things stand, such tech is only sold by B2B outfits at B2B prices. They don't even have a door I could walk into!

Did you run a scrub after you removed the bad RAM, and still have errors? If so, then you know the pool was really damaged. If not, it is possible you had no stored damage and the errors were happening in real-time only.

I couldn't run a scrub by then, because I couldn't unencrypt the zpool -- trying to do so caused an instant reboot every time.

As for the scrub of death, it can't exist. The worst is what may have happened here: corruption in RAM of the metadata that becomes a permanent part of the pool.

Never heard of the scrub of death. Sounds like a rusty steel wool loofah!

Stranded Camel

Explorer
@Stranded Camel if you don't mind shopping online isn't http://www.mercadolibre.com/ an option in south america? Maybe I should say "wasn't" as you already have a system setup.

It exists, yes, but I've been scammed about half the time I've tried to buy things from them. And South American banks don't offer the same credit card protections US banks do -- when someone used my card (number) to buy $100 worth of movie tickets simultaneously in 12 different Russian cities, I filed a complaint with my bank, and they charged me for the tickets anyway (I could prove I've never been to Russia, but they didn't care). Then they investigated for four months and only then refunded me the cash. And this was Visa! Unfortunately, they sink down to the lowest level of service each local market will bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.