Moving from CORE to SCALE, containers vs single VM

Deathmelon

Cadet
Hello, am at the moment running Truenas CORE, with different applications such as Transmission, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, Plex and a UniFi-controller each in their own jail. I want to try Truenas SCALE, to see if it's for me or not. And moving forward, was wondering about the pros/cons of having them each in separate containers like Docker, or have them consolidated in a single VM. I have done some searching before, but I can't seem to find a decent reply that makes me any wiser as for which of the two options I should go for.

msbxa

Contributor
Right now I've tested all those apps excluding Transmission (Using nzbget) and Jackett on TrueNAS SCALE (Test NAS) and all running and communicating with each other and not planning to migrate yet. I am learning new things every day using Docker, containers, and Kubernetes. One problem I can't seem to figure out how to log in to these apps through Terminal or shell while I can't find how to create a static IP for these apps other than log in through the internal shell from within the app.

wolvie_bs

Cadet
Right now I've tested all those apps excluding Transmission (Using nzbget) and Jackett on TrueNAS SCALE (Test NAS) and all running and communicating with each other and not planning to migrate yet. I am learning new things every day using Docker, containers, and Kubernetes. One problem I can't seem to figure out how to log in to these apps through Terminal or shell while I can't find how to create a static IP for these apps other than log in through the internal shell from within the app.
You can exec sh inside the container interactively - essentially like console on a jail. "docker exec -it container_name /bin/sh" or the like.
This is not a comment on the original thread - I'm on core myself and considering scale for container support but loathing the idea of a migration. OP, have you had any further insight?