is Scale the right choice for my use case? (deduplicated cluster)

pinkpanther

Cadet
I currently have two identical E5 v2 xeon servers running truenas core, each machine is fully populated with sas ssds and 10Gbe nics.
Each machine has it's own deduplicated pool.
My goal is to use all my existing drives in order to create a single big deduplicated pool (hopefully without moving the drives into a jbod expander and using one single server to connect them all).

Is it possible to cluster my two servers creating a single distributed DEDUPLICATED volume using scale? and if yes, is it possible to add a third server in the future joining the same deduplicated volume? (just like adding a new vdev to an existing pool?).

I do not just need a bigger volume, I need deduplication across all servers and drives, and not individually on each server.

I can afford losing all my files in the process of moving to scale, I have no problem if it will be slower than core, and I can add 25/100 gbe nics if needed.
I'm just looking for a way to have a single big deduplicated volume (instead of two separate ones), and the possibility to expand it in the future adding more servers.
It is still not clear to me if Scale is capable of doing that.

Thanks.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I currently have two identical E5 v2 xeon servers running truenas core, each machine is fully populated with sas ssds and 10Gbe nics.
Each machine has it's own deduplicated pool.
My goal is to use all my existing drives in order to create a single big deduplicated pool (hopefully without moving the drives into a jbod expander and using one single server to connect them all).

Is it possible to cluster my two servers creating a single distributed DEDUPLICATED volume using scale? and if yes, is it possible to add a third server in the future joining the same deduplicated volume? (just like adding a new vdev to an existing pool?).

I do not just need a bigger volume, I need deduplication across all servers and drives, and not individually on each server.

I can afford losing all my files in the process of moving to scale, I have no problem if it will be slower than core, and I can add 25/100 gbe nics if needed.
I'm just looking for a way to have a single big deduplicated volume (instead of two separate ones), and the possibility to expand it in the future adding more servers.
It is still not clear to me if Scale is capable of doing that.

Thanks.

Its better to put all drives into a single ZFS pool... TrueNAS SCALE or CORE

Clusters start at 3 node and don't deduplicate.