SOLVED Move boot from HDD to microSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Vulnerable as in very corruptible. From a physical aspect, they are fragile if you're heavy handed [or an idiot] but a normal person shouldn't destroy them. It is very easy to corrupt the OS in an RPI and it all stems from the SD electrical interface and not the RPI itself. Many folks using the RPI have go to using the SD card as a bootloader and punt to a USB drive with the OS. So much more stability. I read a lot about the cause a few years ago and it all came down to the actual electrical interface of the SD card. It wasn't designed for a lot of continuous I/O. I don't want to get into how an SD card works and way we shouldn't use it, that is another topic that others can debate, I've wasted enough time on it myself when researching why it was crap for the RPI. Now if someone wants to say that the RPI was the faulty component in this forum, I'm not going to argue it one way or the other as this forum isn't about the RPI but it is what gave me my taste for corrupt SD cards and a little bit of engineering knowledge about why they are not a good pick for an OS.

The OP should consider a different media in my opinion but we all live with the choices we make, I know I do, and if his SD card does become corrupt, the scrub should tell him and he can always recover. Thankfully the boot device is something which can easily be replaced without impacting the user data.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's what I thought you meant, but this thread's covered a little bit of both and "vulnerable" struck me as more a physical thing.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's a pity that SD won out so decisively over CF in all but high-end SLRs. Having a real ATA interface in a small format would be nice.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's a pity that SD won out so decisively over CF in all but high-end SLRs. Having a real ATA interface in a small format would be nice.
CF is definitely more robust.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Nothing is perfect ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I keep waiting for Statler to complete your sentences with some witty and clever twist.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.