Boot volume DEGRADED - Best way to resolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorhooi

Contributor
I have a HP MicroServer Gen8, with FreeNAS 9.10 nightly installed. My bootdisk is a MicroSD (Sandisk Extreme MicroSD 16GB) inserted into the boot slot.

Recently, I got an alert that the BOOT volume was degraded. I went in via the GUI and ran a scrub again, and now I see:

Boot Volume Condition: DEGRADED One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

I've exported a copy of the FreeNAS configuration (i.e. the .db file).

The system appears to be running fine now - but I'm guessing I'll have issues as soon as I try to reboot it?

Is this issue indicative of a hardware issue with the MicroSD card, or could there be other explanations? (i.e. is it worth just reinstalling to the card, or should I just replace it immediately?).

If it is hardware, what is the best way to rectify it? Reinstall a fresh FreeNAS 9.10 onto the MicroSD and reimport the configuration? Or is there a better way?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

gpsguy

Since FreeNAS 9.10 supports mirrored boot devices, you might want to replace the microSD card with a pair of matched pair of flash drives. Do a fresh install of FreeNAS on them and restore your configuration file.

edit: version number

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.