.Mov files corrupted after moving to NAS drive

HenchRat

Dabbler
Wait.

So if I have a Mac with files on it, and have an SMB share, and do not have Alternate Data Streams enabled on that share, and copy files from my Mac to that share, they will be corrupted? That seems like a Very Big Deal.

JWolfe

Dabbler
Wait.

So if I have a Mac with files on it, and have an SMB share, and do not have Alternate Data Streams enabled on that share, and copy files from my Mac to that share, they will be corrupted? That seems like a Very Big Deal.
According to @anodos "Resource forks are handled fine as long as alternate datastream support is enabled. None of the other parameters are required."

I added the the string "vfs objects = streams_xattr ixnas" as was suggested by @anodos but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Hmm. Try a fresh install if 12.0-U2 after it comes out on Tuesday. Many SMB fixes are incorporated. If you can't wait, you may want to revert to 11.3-U5, which is more stable with respect to SMB.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Wait.

This is not true. They will not be corrupted.

HenchRat

Dabbler
This is not true. They will not be corrupted.
Definitely glad to hear that! That is what I gleaned from this thread, though.

You said: "Resource forks are handled fine as long as alternate datastream support is enabled"

What happens to files with resource forks if they are copied to an SMB share without alternate datastream support enabled?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Definitely glad to hear that! That is what I gleaned from this thread, though.

You said: "Resource forks are handled fine as long as alternate datastream support is enabled"

What happens to files with resource forks if they are copied to an SMB share without alternate datastream support enabled?
MacOS checks filesystems capabilities when it connects to the SMB share. On SMB shares without alternate datastream support, MacOS will write resource forks as ._ files like it does on a FAT32 filesystem.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@anodos Then why does the OP experience corruption of video files? Could you explain, please?

HenchRat

Dabbler
Beautiful.

I guess we don't yet actually know what happened to the OP's files?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@anodos Then why does the OP experience corruption of video files? Could you explain, please?
At this point it's too early to tell. I've asked in the bug ticket to schedule a teamviewer session. The debug indicated that samba was dropping some SMB requests due to invalid SMB2 sequence numbers (more specifically should return STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER to client in this case, but client handling may vary). This would typically indicate a client bug. We will investigate.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@JWolfe, by any chance are you running a 3rd party antivirus or firewall on your Mac?

JWolfe

Dabbler
At this point it's too early to tell. I've asked in the bug ticket to schedule a teamviewer session. The debug indicated that samba was dropping some SMB requests due to invalid SMB2 sequence numbers (more specifically should return STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER to client in this case, but client handling may vary). This would typically indicate a client bug. We will investigate.
@anodos Sent email as you requested. Did you received it?

JWolfe

Dabbler
Look like the ticket is this: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-109287

I'm curious how this turned out... any news?
It didn't turn out. I did a screen share with one of the folks from TrueNas (@anodos) and it was not resolved then. I haven't heard anymore from him and since this doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else or is not a priority I will unfortunately have to stop using their platform. I can't afford to transfer a bunch of stuff over and have it end up corrupted.

seanm

Guru
I haven't updated to 12 yet, but I did careful testing in 11 before moving my files, and tested things like resource forks, Finder comments, and other metadata and it was all preserved correctly.

I'll update my test VM to 12 and retest for you.

Does your .mov indeed have a resource fork?

hescominsoon

Patron
It didn't turn out. I did a screen share with one of the folks from TrueNas (@anodos) and it was not resolved then. I haven't heard anymore from him and since this doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else or is not a priority I will unfortunately have to stop using their platform. I can't afford to transfer a bunch of stuff over and have it end up corrupted.
instead of 12..install 11.5 the latest u update..try that.

JWolfe

Dabbler
I haven't updated to 12 yet, but I did careful testing in 11 before moving my files, and tested things like resource forks, Finder comments, and other metadata and it was all preserved correctly.

I'll update my test VM to 12 and retest for you.

Does your .mov indeed have a resource fork?
Thank you and sorry - I don't quite understand how to tell if a .mov file has a resource fork.

seanm

Guru
Thank you and sorry - I don't quite understand how to tell if a .mov file has a resource fork.

In Terminal, use ls -l@

you may see output like for this file:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 sean staff 10298 16 Feb 20:37 testfile com.apple.FinderInfo 32 com.apple.ResourceFork 44094 com.apple.TextEncoding 15 com.apple.lastuseddate#PS 16