When I transfer files, not all of them make it to my FreeNAS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Cadet
Hi guys,

I searched for this problem in the forums and online, but I haven't found anything similar to it yet. I have an absolutely bizarre situation here... I'm transferring about 3TB of data to a RAIDZ3 FreeNAS server I just built. I'm transferring the files from my MacBook Pro via an external drive, so I just turned on AFP and left the machines running for a couple days. I've also transferred data via CIFS from Windows, and that resulted in the correct number of files transferred.

After transferring the files, I moved them from one folder in FreeNAS to another folder in FreeNAS. That's the extent of my tampering, but I did receive a strange error message and about five corrupted files were left behind.

Well, I just did a quick count... and of the 670 files selected to transfer, only 580 of them made it to the FreeNAS server. I have no idea if the files that ostensibly DID successfully transfer, were transferred without corruption or missing data. I also don't know if the missing files were somehow deleted when I moved folders in FreeNAS.

Could anyone help me? I'm baffled how this could even happen, but I'm a bit nervous. When I start transferring over my photos, there are way too many files for me for me to even discover that some don't survive. And I definitely planned to move around folders within FreeNAS itself.

Batman

Cadet
No, unhappily. I just shrugged and kept going. As far as I can tell, the transfers I've done since have been complete -- though if you transfer folders with thousands of files, you often end up with bizarrely inconsistent file counts (~17 missing files or so every so often). I'm not really sure what to make of it all. It's a bit distressing to think I could be losing home photos or videos and never know about it.

I've also had the bizarre issue where my CIFS share refuses to turn on anymore -- a Google search revealed a couple other people who had this problem, but nobody had any answers for them. I'll try reformatting the flash drive containing FreeNAS to see if that clears up my problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.