Intermittent Mac/Windows SMB Photoshop Error

ianwood

Dabbler
This is an intermittent problem with seemingly no rhyme or reason to it. Volume mounted as a normal SMB share. I can access files normally from the share. Except, occasionally, DNG files when opened with Photoshop on any Mac. I am not sure if it happens with other file types but it seems to be mostly DNG. The same DNG files open OK with the Mac "Preview" app. The files are not open by anyone else. I have read & write permissions to the share. Files are transferred to the NAS with the same SMB account. If I put the same files on the Synology volume, they open consistently without issue. Files are not corrupted. Happens from either pool.

This problem occurs often but not always. It happens intermittently across numerous collections of media.

UPDATE: Tried this from one of my two Windows 10 render servers and get a similar message below.

SETUP:
Running 12.0-U6
Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T, AMD EPYC 7251, 128GB DDR4-3200, LSI 9300-8i
2x Samsung 870 EVO (boot, mirrored)
2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB NVME M.2 (wip, mirrored)
6x Ultrastar 18TB (library, vdev 0, raidz2)
7x Ultrastar 14TB (library, vdev 1, raidz2)

I have done pretty much no tweaking of settings on the TrueNAS setup. It's all pretty much defaults. If there are particular settings that should be looked at, I can post them. Just let me know.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 1.37.35 PM.png
truenas-error.png

ianwood

Dabbler
If you can reliably reproduce, try in separate share with auxiliary parameter ixnas:dosattrib_xattr=true

It's inconsistent. Testing across a bunch of DNG files, some files seem to be subject to it some of the time, some all the time and others none of the time.

What does that parameter do and where do I put it?

Are there any other settings I should apply either on client or server? I work with hundreds of thousands of these DNG files.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Set it in the Auxiliary parameters of the share, and then restart the SMB service. It's supposed to enhance the reliability of the DOS attribute bits by mapping them to xattrs instead of to the Unix permissions bits.

ianwood

Dabbler
Set it in the Auxiliary parameters of the share, and then restart the SMB service. It's supposed to enhance the reliability of the DOS attribute bits by mapping them to xattrs instead of to the Unix permissions bits.

I've added the parameter and restarted the service but the problem persists. Does this apply only to files that are newly written to the share? Or does it also work retroactively on files that already exist? If the former, is there a way to "reset" or "force" existing files so that they can be opened from Photoshop?

I am still not clear what is causing this issue. Why would they be indicated as open or locked if that is indeed what is happening?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Does this apply only to files that are newly written to the share? Or does it also work retroactively on files that already exist?

This was to check whether there was a possible issue with vnode cache in MacOS SMB client (can get tripped up in some edge cases with inode reuse on the SMB server). This was of interest to me because it's an area I'm working on for TrueNAS 13.

Perhaps try TrueNAS 12.0-U7 (Samba version change from 4.12 to 4.13). If you can still reproduce the issue on U7, then PM me a debug file and I'll take a look at it to see if there's a bug on our end.

ianwood

Dabbler
This was to check whether there was a possible issue with vnode cache in MacOS SMB client (can get tripped up in some edge cases with inode reuse on the SMB server). This was of interest to me because it's an area I'm working on for TrueNAS 13.

Perhaps try TrueNAS 12.0-U7 (Samba version change from 4.12 to 4.13). If you can still reproduce the issue on U7, then PM me a debug file and I'll take a look at it to see if there's a bug on our end.

It's happening on Windows 10 as well. I will try updating to U7 and report back. Where can I find instructions for creating a debug file?

ianwood

Dabbler
I've upgraded to U7. Windows 10 seems to have been cured of the problem. Still get the problem on OSX however. It's seemingly random which files are impacted. Sending you a debug file.

ianwood

Dabbler
Some updates. I widened my search for similar issues and found that a number of people have reported similar issues with Photoshop and NAS storage including but not limited to TrueNAS.

I then looked at why my Synology NAS was somehow immune to this and discovered it was also running AFP and that more often than not my access to it was indeed by AFP and not SMB. I disabled AFP and tried to access the same DNG file from the Synology and boom, same error. So this does indeed look like it isn't specific to TrueNAS and might be an issue with Photoshop and/or Samba.

I also came across this thread which reported similar issues (specifically post #10):

I tried the recommended settings both on the Mac and TrueNAS but it did not resolve the specific issue and so backed out of them.

I've opened an issue here on Adobe forums: