mount_smbfs share connection freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

In an effort to be more autonomous from our project partners we decided to set up FreeNAS on our own purposely built server for our small workgroup. Still in the process of setting up everything but making good progress so far.

We have a lot of data (~3TB) hosted by our partners that now need to be migrated to our own storage. The only channel available is SMB (shared by Samba on an old Solaris Server). Unfortunately we do not have any other way to access the files. And because of slow network speeds the transfer will take several days.

So we are mounting the share with mount_smbfs and then do an rsync to the local dataset on FreeNAS. Problem is: The connection seems to drop every now and then. When this happens the rsync process completely freezes, no kill possible. Also even a ls of the mountpoint or a df freezes and there is no way to get rid of the zombie processes afterwards. Have to be careful with shell completion too.

I had no success in forcibly unmounting the samba share. I always end up bringing the system in a even more unstable state with lots of frozen processes and even a clean shutdown is not possible.

Any suggestions on how I could sanely reset the SMB mount without killing the whole system?

Thanks,
Ben

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi!

In an effort to be more autonomous from our project partners we decided to set up FreeNAS on our own purposely built server for our small workgroup. Still in the process of setting up everything but making good progress so far.

We have a lot of data (~3TB) hosted by our partners that now need to be migrated to our own storage. The only channel available is SMB (shared by Samba on an old Solaris Server). Unfortunately we do not have any other way to access the files. And because of slow network speeds the transfer will take several days.

So we are mounting the share with mount_smbfs and then do an rsync to the local dataset on FreeNAS. Problem is: The connection seems to drop every now and then. When this happens the rsync process completely freezes, no kill possible. Also even a ls of the mountpoint or a df freezes and there is no way to get rid of the zombie processes afterwards. Have to be careful with shell completion too.

I had no success in forcibly unmounting the samba share. I always end up bringing the system in a even more unstable state with lots of frozen processes and even a clean shutdown is not possible.

Any suggestions on how I could sanely reset the SMB mount without killing the whole system?

Thanks,
Ben
Is using straight-up rsync (no samba) not an option?

If not, I'd probably use a powershell script on a windows client to move the files using robocopy. You can set it to log and resume if connection drops.

No SMB is really the only protocol to access that server for us. The admin made it very clear that he would not want to touch it in any way to open any different protocol (ssh, rsync, nfs whatever)

Actually the transfer has been quite stable for the past day or so. I am not sure why, but maybe because I switched from manually entering the smb password on the console to reading it from .nsmbrc

I also limited the number of simultaneous rsync transfers to 1. This does not max out the network link, but maybe that also benefits stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.