Mounting external SMB share - Best practices?

icsy7867

Contributor
Good afternoon!

We have an iXsystems 4U box (Currently running 11.3. Working on a resilver currently, but not quite ready to go to 12). Our organization also has a very sophisticated backup system (It has about 40TB of very fast storage on top of a very large tape system.). This storage is served using a SMB share. Our IT group will basically give me a SMB path and credentials to access this.

My goal was to simply make a jail, mount the SMB share and then use rsync to periodically scan and copy files to the backup system. However, I have discovered that you cannot simply install samba/samba client and mount. There is a permissions issue and the jail will not let you mount the SMB share, even with "mount" permissions.

Alternatively, I could mount the SMB share onto the main system first and then simply mount this directory inside of the jail... however this seems a little ridiculous. In these production systems, especially ones that can run containers or jails, I would much rather do these system altering things inside of these locations. I did do some searching on the forums and found a few posts, but nothing too concrete. Was hoping for some additional guidance! Thanks!

icsy7867

Contributor
I was afraid of that. Will just work around this then. Will either make a Bhyve linux VM or a VM on our ESXi cluster and just transfer there.