Run mount_smbfs by a non root user

Janus Ng

Explorer
Background: I want to mount a SMB share and use it inside a jail. I have tried various ways to do it on the base system and add the mount point to the storages of jails. But none survives a reboot. I have posted my trials on other threads:
I am trying to work around it by mounting the SMB share inside a jail instead. Unfortunately, mount_smbfs does not work when it is calling from a non root user even root has called mount_smbfs on before hand. I get the following error.
$ mount_smbfs -N -f 666 -d 777 -E UTF-8:UTF-8 //user@server/Shared /net/server/shared
Warning: no cfg file(s) found.
mount_smbfs: can not setup kernel iconv table (ISO8859-1:tolower): syserr = Operation not permitted

I have already added the following lines into /boot/loader.conf
Code:
libiconv_load=“YES”
libmchain_load=“YES”

Any pointer or suggestion?

Last edited:

Janus Ng

Explorer
I have updated to FreeNAS 11.2-U2 yesterday and tried out kiconvtool. Unfortunately, I still cannot get it work. The about command still fails with the same error. :(

pixel8383

Explorer
I am trying to do the same on TrueNAS-13.0-U3 with no luck. Do you have any update? Is it possible to mount an NFS/SMB share within a jail? That's a huge limitation for the system.