Trying to share a network folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I am on the verge of just giving up on this, and use windows on my laptop and install emby server there. At least it does work ok.
You haven't really described what your problem is. Try describing what your environment is and what your would like to so and we can tell you how to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

avalon60

Guru
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by environment, but I'll do my best.

I have an old laptop which has Ubuntu 17.04 on. I installed the emby server for linux/ubuntu, and have started it by : localhost:8096.

When I select the page to add Folders, emby can't see my NAS box, so that did not work.
I have since mounted the Music folder in Freenas as a UNIX (NFS) share, and then tried adding the same path in emby's Add Folder, but I got an error message saying there was an error adding the media path etc.

On my Linux laptop I downloaded and installed both the nfs-kernel and cifs-utils, but when I tried this in a terminal or shell: sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.22:/Path to media folder, it returned mount: can't find 192.168.0.22:/Path to media folder in /etc/fstab.

I also tried this cmd line: sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.22/Path to media folder /Media -o, but it returned: Couldn't chdir to /Media: No such file or directory

From that I am guessing that I need to add that same path in the fstab file.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

No you need to create the path for /media on your laptop. It's trying to Mont your NFS export to that path but it doesn't exist so it can't. I take it this is new for you to use a non Windows system. You will get the hang of it but we haven't even got to the hard part yet, permissions!

P.s. much better post describing your problem. More posts like that and you will do just fine with freenas and on the forums. If you can though try to copy the exact error message if possible.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by environment, but I'll do my best.

I have an old laptop which has Ubuntu 17.04 on. I installed the emby server for linux/ubuntu, and have started it by : localhost:8096.

When I select the page to add Folders, emby can't see my NAS box, so that did not work.
I have since mounted the Music folder in Freenas as a UNIX (NFS) share, and then tried adding the same path in emby's Add Folder, but I got an error message saying there was an error adding the media path etc.

On my Linux laptop I downloaded and installed both the nfs-kernel and cifs-utils, but when I tried this in a terminal or shell: sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.22:/Path to media folder, it returned mount: can't find 192.168.0.22:/Path to media folder in /etc/fstab.

I also tried this cmd line: sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.22/Path to media folder /Media -o, but it returned: Couldn't chdir to /Media: No such file or directory

On most (all?) UNIX systems there is a directory named /mnt which is customarily where you will mount NFS shares, CD/DVD drives, etc.

On your laptop Linux emby server, I suggest you create a directory in /mnt named 'media', and then mount the FreeNAS share on this directory.

Most of the time, you want this to be permanent, so you specify the mount setup in your /etc/fstab file. UNIX systems load these automatically at system startup. Here is an /etc/fstab entry from my Linux-based Plex server; it allows Plex to access the media content share on my main FreeNAS server:
Code:
//bandit/media /mnt/media cifs rw,user,auto,suid,vers=2.1,noserverino,credentials=/etc/media-credentials 0 0
This mounts the share (//bandit/media) at /mnt/media, which is where I configure Plex to look for media content. You can specify the user ID and password explicitly, but I chose instead to use a credentials file (/etc/media-credentials), which contains two lines:
Code:
username=xxxxx
password=xxxxx
Note that I'm using a CIFS/SMB share instead of an NFS share: //bandit/media is a CIFS/SMB share on my FreeNAS server with nostname 'bandit'.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: added some details...

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
No you need to create the path for /media on your laptop. It's trying to Mont your NFS export to that path but it doesn't exist so it can't. I take it this is new for you to use a non Windows system. You will get the hang of it but we haven't even got to the hard part yet, permissions!

P.s. much better post describing your problem. More posts like that and you will do just fine with freenas and on the forums. If you can though try to copy the exact error message if possible.

Yes Linux/Ubuntu is new to me after being a windows user for a very long time, but I am slowly learning.
When you say I need to create the path for /media on my laptop, other than the way I tried above, how do I do that.

avalon60

Guru
On most (all?) UNIX systems there is a directory named /mnt which is customarily where you will mount NFS shares, CD/DVD drives, etc.

On your laptop Linux emby server, I suggest you create a directory in /mnt named 'media', and then mount the FreeNAS share on this directory.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: added some details...

How do I create a directory on the emby server, is there a specified place to do that.
Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How do I create a directory on the emby server, is there a specified place to do that.
Thanks
mkdir /media

That will create the directory. Then you can execute your sudo mount command.

avalon60

Guru
Whereabouts on the emby server do I create the /mnt/Media. Is it in the advanced section.

This was in Ubuntu and not the emby server as you said to me. I was forgetting that
I have now created a music folder by sudo mkdir /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music, which is the actual path on my freenas box to the music and when I try to:
sudo mount ipaddressofserver:/pathtoMusic folder I get a message saying that the said mount point does not exist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.