mount_smbfs between two FreeNAS not works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Jakab

Dabbler
Hi All,

I would like direct copy between NAS servers (I already now how to do with SCP command and Rsync).
I would like the third option remote mount Samba share on the other system.

The two server hostname/ip:
demoFNAS/192.168.10.34 (the new test system updated to latest FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130)
freenas/192.168.10.8 (the old one FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)

Sambaclient test show share from demoFNAS on old NAS:
Code:
[root@freenas] /mnt# smbclient -L 192.168.10.34 -U="jpeter"
WARNING: The "acl check permissions" option is deprecated
Enter jpeter's password:
Domain=[TELTEAM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.18]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        winshared       Disk
        z2winshare      Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Demo FreeNAS Server)
Domain=[TELTEAM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.18]

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        DEMOFNAS             Demo FreeNAS Server
        NAS                  FreeNAS Server

Workgroup            Master
        TELTEAM              NAS

and reverse from old NAS to demoFNAS:
Code:
[root@demoFNAS] /mnt/z2test# smbclient -L 192.168.10.8 -U="jpeter"
Enter jpeter's password:
Domain=[TELTEAM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.12]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (FreeNAS Server)
        TS-CIFS         Disk
Domain=[TELTEAM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.12]

Server               Comment
        DEMOFNAS             Demo FreeNAS Server
        NAS                  FreeNAS Server
        PETI-WIN7X64

Workgroup            Master
        TELTEAM              NAS

I try to mount from new demoNAS the old NAS:
Code:
[root@demoFNAS] /mnt/z2test# mkdir /mnt/tester
[root@demoFNAS] /mnt/z2test# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.10.8 //jpeter@NAS/TS-CIFS /mnt/tester
Password:
[root@demoFNAS] /mnt/z2test# ls -la /mnt/tester
total 0
[root@demoFNAS] /mnt/z2test#

As you can see the mounted folder emty. Meanwhile the shared folder have hundreds of folders and files.

Mount command confirmed (just last line in mount output):
Code:
//JPETER@NAS/TS-CIFS on /mnt/tester (smbfs)

I try different commands formats:
Code:
mount_smbfs -I 192.168.10.8 -W TELTEAM //jpeter@freenas.TELTEAM/TS-CIFS /mnt/tester
mount_smbfs -I 192.168.10.8 -W TELTEAM //jpeter@freenas/TS-CIFS /mnt/tester

And also from reverse direction:
Code:
[root@freenas] /mnt/TriSister# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.10.34 //jpeter@DEMO-NAS/z2winshare /mnt/testcopy
Password:
[root@freenas] /mnt/TriSister# ls /mnt/testcopy/
[root@freenas] /mnt/TriSister# ls -l /mnt/testcopy/
total 0

But those also not worked for me.

When I first time build up the DemoNAS that is worked from old to new one. But not for reverse direction.
Why this is not works? Could any access right problems behind it?

Bye,
Peter

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Why would you do this?
I know pirateghost's question is not responsive to your question, but this question is so odd that we would like the chance to understand what you are doing before we tell you something that is almost certainly not at all recommended to do to your appliance, or would require a bit of setup. Any plausible thing I can think of has an easier, more recommended thing you should be doing instead.

Peter Jakab

Dabbler
I know pirateghost's question is not responsive to your question, but this question is so odd that we would like the chance to understand what you are doing before we tell you something that is almost certainly not at all recommended to do to your appliance, or would require a bit of setup. Any plausible thing I can think of has an easier, more recommended thing you should be doing instead.

If your first question "why" that mean your are smart:)

OK I get your point so I give you the long story:
I have two NAS server now the old one with about 5TByte data and new one with just test disks (4*500MByte in RaidZ2). I would like test all of the solutions could help me later to transform selected files and folder to test system with (6-8qty of 4-6TB disk in RaidZ2 purchased later).
My new one based on my lot of practical experience much more bigger/stable/better managed. I would like keep old one possible push to my father LAN (less critical storage). This is just test of transfer methods all of them to know their addventage

File transfer key points:
- Secure copy method necessary (no data loss allowed) least on my familiar pictures.
- Recursive solution necessary for same folders. Who want copy folder by folder 10-15 deep recursive roots?
- not complete clone/replication of volume due different datasets and structure etc.
- different volume size (always from small to bigger as actual general issue today)
- this is intranet so no encryption necessary in my private LAN
- because big data size xTByte I would like use fast solution. Not spending days for file transfer. (I need put Intel CT Gigabit into old one instead of msk0)

If you would like move/copy files between two FreeNAS server then you have multiple ways:
- Just very newbies use 3rd machine in middle copy from old NAS samba to my Win7 in middle and copy to new NAS again. Slowest as possible and duplication of fault possibilities.
- Move physical disks and import volume to new one. No I would like copy content. I dont have enough space for 6+8 disk in Define R5.
- Rsync(45.7Gbyte was about 65minutes mean 11MByte/sec) like duplication works with small bandwidth but could usefully example two different home local network and you would like synchronize familiar pictures in the background at each night. You can select folder but slow for file transfer.
This is slow copy and permanent synchronization between two folder example. Also have disadvantage of synchronization of failures. If primary server file deleted (and not detected) this is synchronized to backup server also. So not fully usefully for Backup solution
- SCP (43-48MByte/sec): If I would like copy one/few files over unsecure networks SCP your friend from source machine easy. But have encryption/decryption overhead (CPU and bandwidth limitation). I don't see any simple (without scripting) solution for recursive copy.
- Volume replication/snapshoot export etc. very usefully if you would like clone the complete volume, but not usefully in if you need just partial folders/files from the volume. Example different volume size, different datasets or selection of files/folders.
- FTP how I heard now secure from file integrity point of view.
- CIFS(53MByte/sec mean 425-475Mbps limited by msk0, 30% CPU load on old NAS): Because the CIFS/Samba file sharing supported why not used that between two FreeNAS? Simple mount the other NAS samba share and cp files (could recursive).
About file integrity I found solution about recursive multi-thread CRC checksum generation and check. So after simple copy command done I can generate checksum on old machine copy the sum file to and running verification on new one.
- Any more idea not listed?

If mount_smbfs command possible why not works? Any more questions? :)
Sorry for late response due I check this thread daily.

Bye,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.