Problems mounting samba share in freenas (mount_smbfs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasmatazz

Cadet
Hi all,
The system which I'm working with is Freenas 8.2-RELEASE-p9, and I'm having problems mounting an external samba share in this machine.
I'm using the following instruction in my freenas server:
/> mount_smbfs -I 192.168.1.55 //user@192.168.1.55/folder_shared /mnt/smb_shares
where
- 192.168.1.55 is the address of the samba server.
- /folder_shared is the folder shared by the samba server.
- /mnt/smb_shares is the folder in the freenas server where I want to mount the samba share.

After mount_smbfs is executed, I am asked for the password and once it is given, the freenas system crashes and forces to reboot. In the console the information given is:
Fatal trap 12. page fault while in kernel mode... (see attachment)
freenas_crash.jpg

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in freenas?

Thanks in advance for any information on how to resolve this issue.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
There is no FreeNAS 8.2-RELEASE-p9. That's a FreeBSD version. You're probably on FreeNAS 8.2-RELEASE-p1. I don't have any insight into your issue though, that's wacky. Maybe make a different FreeNAS boot USB with the most up to date version (FreeNAS 8.3.0-RELEASE-p1) and see if it works there.

rasmatazz

Cadet
Hi ben,
Thanks for your quick response, yes you're right, my freenas version is FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950). Well, is it posible to upgrade to a new freenas version without losing all the data ? Sorry, but I'm quite new to freenas...

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Upgrades are usually quite safe, though backing up your data and config file is highly recommended anyway. The only problem is that upgrades from 8.2 to 8.3 are irreversible once you upgrade your ZFS pool. This isn't automatic, but it is recommended. I recommend making a separate 8.3.0 USB drive install and testing there before committing, especially if the system is in regular use. If it's just a test system with no critical data on it, go ahead and upgrade. Here are the docs for upgrading: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Upgrading_FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.