Trying to share a network folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I have a network folder on my FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2) box which I want to share. I have followed this:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/mount-samba-smb-cifs-persistently-through-fstab.27331/

and this:
http://blog.up-link.ro/freebsd-how-to-mount-smb-cifs-shares-under-freebsd/

but it is not working.

This is my cmd line :
[root@freenas ~]# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.22 //root@freenas/WinShare/Media/Musi
c /mnt /WinShare/Media/Music
And the folder I want to share is the Music folder , but after I type in the cmd line above I get this:

usage: mount_smbfs [-E cs1:cs2] [-I host] [-L locale] [-M crights:srights]
[-N] [-O cowner:cgroup/sowner:sgroup] [-R retrycount]
[-T timeout] [-W workgroup] [-c case] [-d mode] [-f mode]
[-g gid] [-n opt] [-u uid] [-U username] //user@server/share
node

I have obviously got something wrong, but know not what

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You probably don't want to mount it in freenas. Use your client to do the mount.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Redcoat

MVP
A space in "/mnt /WinShare/Media/Music"?

avalon60

Guru
I have taken out the space and now get this:
[root@freenas ~]# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.22 //root@freenas/WinShare/Media/Musi
mount_smbfs: could not find mount point /root@freenas: No such file or directory
[root@freenas ~]# c /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music

This question or problem has come about because I was told in the emby forum for Ubuntu, I had to mount the folder first before I could select it in emby's setup

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have taken out the space and now get this:
mount_smbfs: could not find mount point /root@freenas: No such file or directory
[root@freenas ~]# c /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music

This question or problem has come about because I was told in the emby forum for Ubuntu, I had to mount the folder first before I could select it in emby's setup
You need to mount it to your emby server, not freenas. What is your emby server? Is it a jail, vm or a different host?

avalon60

Guru
I downloaded and installed the emby server by command lines on my laptop, which has ubuntu 17.04 on, and I don't know what it is, except maybe a host??
The URL is: localhost:8096/web/wizardlibrary.html

This is what I was told on the emby forum:
You don't do it in emby, you do it in the OS on your server: https://forums.freen...gh-fstab.27331/

And then the mount point will show up in the list of folders to add to your library.

The emby plugin is a jail on my Freenas box, but I want to get the emby server on my Ubuntu laptop to show the music files I have on my freenas server.

This is the link I used to install emby:
https://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-emby-on-ubuntu/

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
I have just ran the same cmd line again and now get this:

[root@freenas ~]# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.22//root@freenas/WinShare/Media/Music
/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music
mount_smbfs: no server name specified
[root@freenas ~]#

I thought the server name was freenas ??

Redcoat

MVP
I have just ran the same cmd line again and now get this:

[root@freenas ~]# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.22//root@freenas/WinShare/Media/Music
/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music
mount_smbfs: no server name specified
[root@freenas ~]#

I thought the server name was freenas ??
Space after "22"?

avalon60

Guru
Thanks, and now a new error message:
c /mnt/WinShare/Media/music
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
[root@freenas ~]#

How can I solve that one please?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Password:
[root@freenas ~]#

Set auxiliary parameter ntlm auth = yes under services -> smb. Note that this is only slightly better than transmitting your passwords in the clear.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Password:
[root@freenas ~]#

I think you may have things backwards... :)

FreeNAS is what you use for media storage; emby is a media server that will use the FreeNAS storage.

So you need to create a dataset on your FreeNAS server where you will store your media files; it seems you've already done this. Then share this dataset as an NFS share (Sharing->UNIX(NFS) in the GUI).

On your emby server -- your laptop? -- you will then mount the share so that the emby package can access it to serve up your media.

avalon60

Guru
Set auxiliary parameter ntlm auth =
Set auxiliary parameter ntlm auth = yes under services -> smb. Note that this is only slightly better than transmitting your passwords in the clear.

Thanks, but now I get this:
[root@freenas ~]#
[root@freenas ~]# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.22 //root@freenas/WinShare/Media/Music mount_smbfs: could not find mount point /root@freenas: No such file or directory
[root@freenas ~]# /mnt/WinShare/Media/music

Now it's can't find mount point, aaargh!

avalon60

Guru
Yes I did that: ntlm auth = yes, in smb service.

Redcoat

MVP
Brit to Brit: don't get frustrated, you need to follow Spearfoot's advice in #12 above. I didn't know anything about Emby until intrigued by this thread today, but I've since read up on it. Spearfoot's advice covers that you got from the admin of the Emby forum today: "Mounted in your OS as a local path, then added to Emby using the local path." In order to "mount in your OS as a local path" your Ubuntu laptop needs to have access to the data store share on FreeNAS, so set up the network share as Spearfoot indicated and mount it on your laptop.
Enjoy your Bank Holiday weekend!

avalon60

Guru
Yes, Brit to Brit, no I wasn't getting frustrated , and I have now followed Spearfoot's advice by adding a UNIX share on my FreeNAS box. I already had a data set for the media anyways.
I have added the same path as the shared UNIX folder as: /mnt/WinShare/media/Music, as a folder in emby, but I am getting an error in emby saying:

' There was an error adding the media path. Please ensure the path is valid and the Emby Server process has access to it'

I have also entered the same path as a (Optional) Shared Network Folder, but still get the same error

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
I'm guessing that the (Optional) Shared Network Folder path needs your FreeNAS box's network name in it?

avalon60

Guru
My FreeNAS box's network name is just freenas in Ubuntu and FREENAS in windows. Neither of them work in emby

Redcoat

MVP
Well I guess that you need to work on whatever's preventing Ubuntu accessing the share on FreeNAS ...

avalon60

Guru
I am on the verge of just giving up on this, and use windows on my laptop and install emby server there. At least it does work ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.