Problems mounting samba shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

banelings

Cadet
Hi,

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I have two computers running Freenas9x;
Behemoth and Beelzebub

Beelzebub has samba share up and running, and I am trying to create a mount from Behemoth;

So, I am able to reach the share using the following command:

Code:
[root@Behemoth /etc]# smbclient -U root -I 192.168.1.200 //root@BEELZEBUB/media
Enter root's password:
Domain=[CLOCKWORK] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.5.5-GIT-UNKNOWN]
smb: \>

But when I try to mount it, using

Code:
[root@Behemoth /]# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.1.200 -U root //BEELZEBUB/media /mnt/media
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
[root@Behemoth /]#

Do I need to mount it to a specific path? For testing purpose I changed the chmod to 777 for the /mnt/media on Behemoth, owned by root/wheel

I have also tried playing around with /etc/nsmb.conf, but with little to no success.

Can someone please point me to the right direction?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There is significant doubt whether mount_smbfs supports anything beyond ancient authentication that was recently made unsupported unless explicitly enabled.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can someone please point me to the right direction?
I'm not sure what the right direction is, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve mounting an SMB share from one FreeNAS box, on another FreeNAS box, using SMB.

banelings

Cadet
There is significant doubt whether mount_smbfs supports anything beyond ancient authentication that was recently made unsupported unless explicitly enabled.

That might answer why all the guides I could find was dated back in 2009 :|
What options do I have, how do I simply mount a drive from another server? There has to be a way?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
That might answer why all the guides I could find was dated back in 2009 :|
What options do I have, how do I simply mount a drive from another server? There has to be a way?
Why do you want to mount a share from one server to the other? What are you trying to do?

banelings

Cadet
Why do you want to mount a share from one server to the other? What are you trying to do?

Basically my media is divided between two computers, and I do not want two separate plex media servers running. So, what I would like, is to map the drive and collect all my media

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Basically my media is divided between two computers, and I do not want two separate plex media servers running. So, what I would like, is to map the drive and collect all my media
I'm not a Plex expert, but I'm pretty sure you can configure it to access multiple content servers.

banelings

Cadet
I'm not a Plex expert, but I'm pretty sure you can configure it to access multiple content servers.

Indeed it is, however it is not possible to merge the libraries within Plex. Guess there is no easy solution in this case. Thanks for your time anyway :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, FreeNAS is designed to be a network file server, not a network file client. But if you want to use it as a client, sharing via NFS is probably the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.