SMB authentication only works when using FQDN/DNS

Klontje

Dabbler
Hello all,

I setup FreeNAS as part of a Samba domain (Samba 4.6.3) running on two other computers. Replication and everything works fine. I have a workstation (Windows 7) joined to the domain and can administer anything from there. I have setup several ZFS datasets with windows permissions and shared these through SMB in Freenas. Owner of the datasets is the adminstrator account setup for freenas and group owner is an AD group of which my personal account and the freenas admin account are a member.

I can open the shares from the Windows 7 domain joined workstation by IP and hostname and logged in as a user with access to the shares. But when I try to access the shares from another windows computer (Windows 10 and a Windows 2012R2 server) I can enumerate the shares but opening a share asks for my credentials and when I either input my own account or the freenas admin account (prefixed with <domain>\, \, or nothing) I can't get in and an error in the \var\log\samba4\log.smbd is thrown:

Code:
[2017/05/25 14:32:38.174030,  1] ../source3/smbd/service.c:502(make_connection_snum)
  create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I really wouldn't know where to look to get this fixed. Could any of you point me in the right direction? I'm running FreeNAS 11-RC3.

EDIT: Did some testing from the domain controller and try to access FreeNAS SMB shares. Strange thing is that it does access denied when accessed on it's IP and allows connections using DNS name (see log below). Next step was changing DNS on my two non domain clients to domain DNS and accessing freenas by FQND, now I can authenticate. So for some reason FreeNAS Samba only works when accessed through FQDN/DNS and not by IP.

Code:
pi@dc1:~ $ kinit freenas-admin
Password for freenas-admin@DOMAIN.X.NL:
pi@dc1:~ $ smbclient -k -L //192.168.1.10
Kerberos auth with 'freenas-admin@DOMAIN.X.NL' (DOMAIN\pi) to access '192.168.1.10' not possible
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
pi@dc1:~ $ smbclient -k -L //freenas.DOMAIN.X.NL

Sharename  Type  Comment
  ---------  ----  -------
  backup  Disk
  documents  Disk
  downloads  Disk
  music  Disk
  pictures  Disk
  software  Disk
  testshare  Disk
  videos  Disk
  IPC$  IPC  IPC Service (FreeNAS Server)

Server  Comment
  ---------  -------

Workgroup  Master
  ---------  -------
  DOMAIN
pi@dc1:~ $ smbclient -k -L //freenas

Sharename  Type  Comment
  ---------  ----  -------
  backup  Disk
  documents  Disk
  downloads  Disk
  music  Disk
  pictures  Disk
  software  Disk
  testshare  Disk
  videos  Disk
  IPC$  IPC  IPC Service (FreeNAS Server)

Server  Comment
  ---------  -------

Workgroup  Master
  ---------  -------
  DOMAIN
pi@dc1:~ $ smbclient -k -L //192.168.1.10
Kerberos auth with 'freenas-admin@DOMAIN.X.NL' (DOMAIN\pi) to access '192.168.1.10' not possible
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Last edited: