Missing disks after zfs pool deletion

Like this?
And this?

Another question: also drive cages have to be compatible with 12G SAS, or they are transparent?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Like this?

That specific one is originating from Shenzhen, and while not wishing to jump to conclusions, I will say that there is a significant chance it's not a piece of genuine LSI hardware.

And this?

Your second option, while more expensive, is more likely to be genuine. I'm afraid I can't speak to the specifics of the European zone for marketing and availability of second-hand datacenter equipment.

Another question: also drive cages have to be compatible with 12G SAS, or they are transparent?

If the drive cages are "direct attach" - as in, they have no expander chip in them - then there is no need for specific levels of support, they are just wiring on PCBs. If they use an expander, then the expander chip must be 12G SAS compatible as well, or it will simply "downshift" to 6G SAS speeds.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If the drive cages are "direct attach" - as in, they have no expander chip in them - then there is no need for specific levels of support, they are just wiring on PCBs.

This is demonstrably incorrect. SAS signaling is differential, and due to the speeds involved, is sensitive to the RF characteristics of the twist. which has to be accounted for on a PCB. This is why lots of 3Gbps SAS1 backplanes with individual connectors were not particularly reliable with SAS2. Supermicro has maintained separate part numbers for various backplane parts where such compatibility issues come into play. Some of their original TQ parts were actually able to do SAS2 when it came out, but a SAS2 backplane is unlikely to pass cert for SAS3, which is why you have a different part number for the SAS1/2 BPN-SAS-825TQ and the SAS3 BPN-SAS3-825TQ. You will also note that the SAS1/2 part has black SATA connectors while the SAS3 part has blue connectors.

Another question: also drive cages have to be compatible with 12G SAS

They have to be compatible with 12G SAS except in certain cases. For example, if you have a SATA drive cage, there is no 12G SATA, and so the max drive speed you could have is 6G SATA. Note that the mating connector for the drive inside a 6G SATA drive cage will not allow the insertion of a SAS drive. However, if you managed to have a 12G HBA port and a 12G HDD, and somehow managed to get 6G SAS wiring in between, this isn't expected to work. You might be able to get it to work, but if so, only because the damn system is pretty robust.

Look for the blue connectors to indicate 12G compatibility. Parts such as SilverStone's SST-FS305-12G are designed for 12G SAS.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
However, if you managed to have a 12G HBA port and a 12G HDD, and somehow managed to get 6G SAS wiring in between, this isn't expected to work. You might be able to get it to work, but if so, only because the damn system is pretty robust.
I could have sworn I had a 12G Ultrastar SSD1600MM working in a "6Gbps" tagged 4-into-1 2.5 to 5.25 cage - perhaps the PCB was simplistic enough that this wouldn't have posed an issue - in retrospect you're quite right, there'd be no need for Supermicro to come out with the new SAS3 direct-attach backplanes if there wasn't a material difference between it and the older generation hardware.

(The power of community!)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're talking only a few inches on the PCB at worst, I suspect. SAS2/SAS3 is designed to work at some distance, so it's like that thing where people find that their old Category 5e cabling works for 10GBase-T copper over several feet, or where people use satin cable (no twist at all) for their analog telephones, despite the modern POTS spec being Cat3-grade twist all the way back to the central office. There should be lots of cases where the SAS3 signal may be able to successfully traverse a short run of SAS2 especially if the SAS3 signal is in all other ways clean and pristine; SAS3 is rated to be pushed 10M and uses 275–1600 mV differential signaling which is pretty robust. But the question was effectively whether or not a backplane was rated for a certain speed, not whether or not you might be able to cheat it (which I suspect is possible in MANY cases), so the best answer is that if you expect to be using 12G SAS, yes, you should shop for a 12G-capable module.

It sees drives with 12G speed.

-----------------
pass6: <SAMSUNG P1633N19 EMC1920 EQP9> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device
pass6: Serial Number P0NAAH604918
pass6: 1200.000MB/s transfers, Command Queueing Enabled
-----------------

Controller is the following:

Avago Technologies SAS3 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2017.05.02)
Copyright 2008-2017 Avago Technologies. All rights reserved.

Adapter Selected is a Avago SAS: SAS3008(C0)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS3008(C0)
PCI Address : 00:0c:00:00
SAS Address : 500062b-2-00ff-ac40
NVDATA Version (Default) : 0e.01.00.07
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 0e.01.00.07
Firmware Product ID : 0x2221 (IT)
Firmware Version : 16.00.10.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9300-8i
BIOS Version : 08.37.02.00
UEFI BSD Version : 18.00.00.00
FCODE Version : N/A
Board Name : SAS9300-16i
Board Assembly : 03-25600-01B
Board Tracer Number : SP52411281

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
Exiting SAS3Flash.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

And your point is ....? If you have a cable that isn't up to snuff, it may still allow the electronics on each end to communicate at a speed that isn't ultimately sustainable, which can lead to a variety of problems in production.

And your point is ....? If you have a cable that isn't up to snuff, it may still allow the electronics on each end to communicate at a speed that isn't ultimately sustainable, which can lead to a variety of problems in production.
It's like not changing the oil in your car because "oil is expensive."

Whattteva

Wizard
Your WiFi can say it's connected at 1G, but I'd be VERY surprised if you can actually get even remotely close to that speed from anywhere beyond right next to the router. Real world performance != theoretical limit.