Missing 3/4 passthrough drives in Hyper-v

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

I have decided to make a test with Hyper-v with 4 drives
The 4 drives are passed through but the GUI can't see them (while fdisk can).
Only one drive is seen.
I have seen that creating the pool manually (zpool create -f TestPool......) works perfectly.
Once created the pool must be exported to be imported in the GUI.
After that sometimes there is a message telling there is a problem getting information on the pool (while zpool status shows no problem).
My 4 HDD are passthrough from a Fantec QB-35US3-6G (I see 4 drives in Windows that I take offline to pass them to hyper-v).
Is there something I am missing?
Thank you
Marc

Attachments

• fdisk.png
    fdisk.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Create pool.png
    Create pool.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 200

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Is the adapter (on-board or separate HBA), to which the disks are connected, passed through on PCIe-level?

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,
Thank you for the answer.

I use the USB3 port (and I have put the 4 disks offline in Windows to pass them through) as disks (with a virtual SCSI adapter).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
as disks (with a virtual SCSI adapter)
That won't work. You need to pass an entire adapter via PCIe passthrough. Or pass NVME disks which is also PCIe.

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

Thank you
I guess it is too dangerous to make the pool in command line (it is bound to have problems in the future) and as Hyper-v doesn't allow to passthrough adapters I should forget it. Am I correct?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hyper-V does allow the pass-through of adapters. That's the point. You need a dedicated PCIe-SATA adapter for that, but then it is supposed to work.

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Fantec QB-35US3-6G
This is an external USB/eSATA enclosure, and neither of those two connection methods will work well with FreeNAS; USB isn't well-supported, and eSATA would imply the use of SATA port multiplication.

Is it possible to connect the drives internally? You could then use Hyper-V to do PCI passthrough of an internal storage controller and have a much better supported solution.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is an external USB/eSATA enclosure, and neither of those two connection methods will work well with FreeNAS;

Just a note that this is the TrueNAS SCALE forum. It's still not a good idea, but Linux might work a bit better (until the cable pulls loose, of course).

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Just a note that this is the TrueNAS SCALE forum. It's still not a good idea, but Linux might work a bit better (until the cable pulls loose, of course).
I didn't even notice, my bad.

Linux has significantly better UASP drivers which might make that a reliable option (barring an unplug, of course) but that depends on the enclosure having support for the protocol.