Installing Freenas 8.04 on Hyper-V Server with SCSI direct I/O pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreys

Cadet
Hello,

I've been struggling with configuring freenas 8.04 to recognize virtual SCSI drives created in Hyper-V for direct I/O pass through purposes. I am able to add the SCSI disks to the Hyper-V itself in the console, however, when I go into the web gui of freenas to create a volume, it doesn't recognize the disks. If I add them as IDE drives, it works; however, Hyper-V limits you to only 4 IDE devices in total, and I need to add 5 HDD + 1 CD-ROM. I tried installing the Linux Integration services, but I am unable to do so. I can't seem to mount the drive within Freenas.

Has anyone been able to add SCSI drives via Hyper-V to a virtual Freenas computer?

Thanks in advance, for any help! :)

ppumkin

Dabbler
Did you ever solve your problem? I thought maybe i should use iSCSI but it turned out to be not the case :(

I need to mount 4 Drives with an exiting ZFS pool- I decided to use Hyper-V core because freenas on its own started annoying me with all these plugin issues, no printer support so... So I want to have freenas VM (ZFS RAID5) and a windows 7 vm running sabnzdb, sharing all my files and printers nice and fast...

but the same problem cannot mount all 4 of my drives as 1 is taken up by the boot.vhd

Azukay

Dabbler

Azukay

Dabbler
I couldn't get this to work at all in Hyper-V 2012 RC. Something to do with the SCSI generic driver. It works perfectly in VMware Workstation 9 though, that's what I'm currently running.

ppumkin

Dabbler
VMWare workstation? Sounds interesting. So technically I should have a Windows Pro/Server as the boot and run FreeNAS within vm workstation, yea?
Sounds like a good enough solution for me. Thanks :) :o

Azukay

Dabbler
VMWare workstation? Sounds interesting. So technically I should have a Windows Pro/Server as the boot and run FreeNAS within vm workstation, yea?
Sounds like a good enough solution for me. Thanks :) :o

That's what I'm doing, it seems to get around a few of the mainboard newness (Asus P8H77-M Pro compatability) issues. I did it this way because I originally (and continue to) intended to run other software under windows at the same time. Lots of other combos though.

ppumkin

Dabbler
That's what I'm doing, it seems to get around a few of the mainboard newness (Asus P8H77-M Pro compatability) issues. I did it this way because I originally (and continue to) intended to run other software under windows at the same time. Lots of other combos though.

Same with me. All my personal machines run Winblows 7 and soon 8 and I need to share printers(i have a4 and a3) without going upstairs and connecting direct into USB. and also want to have IIS7 with native .NET support for some personal sites i use easily I tried installing the FreeNAS printer drivers but ended up blowing up the FreeNAS install. So I gave up on that.

Great solution Bro!

frauhansen

Cadet
nice.... i hope the project keeps running... i have this problem right now with my 10-disc project via hyperv and freenas

gpsguy

If you do a search of the forums, you'll find that Hyper-V won't be supported until FreeNAS 9.2, at the earliest. v9.1 is in alpha, right now.

i have this problem right now with my 10-disc project via hyperv and freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.