FreeNAS in Hyper-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azukay

Dabbler
I've been working on this for a while now but still hitting a major roadblock, can't detect my passthrough HDDs.

CPU: Intel i5-3470 with VT-d enabled
Mainboard: Asus P8H77-M Pro (BIOS v915 [latest])
VM: Hyper-V 2012 RC
Raid: Intel RS2WC080 flashed to LSI 9211_8i P14 IT mode
HDDs: 8 x WD 2TB Reds.
FreeNAS: 8.3.0 Beta1 x64 and latest nightly r12174.

FreeNAS runs perfectly (as far as I can tell) other than not showing the HDDs when added to the VM as Physical HDDs to the virtual SCSI controller.
When added to the IDE controller it will detect in FreeNAS fine under View Disks.
I've spent a number of days looking on the internet to find out how to fix but can get no further.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Just to clarify, I'm talking about "official" support. FreeNAS is open source and hacking is always welcome ;)

Azukay

Dabbler
Yeah thanks for the reminder, I came across the github info the other week but forgot about since I was on another PC at the time. Looks like another weekend to figure out how to import the updated storage drivers into FreeBSD and therefor FreeNAS.

Azukay

Dabbler
Spent a number of hours looking into this possible workaround for Hyper-V but I do not have enough indepth knowledge to attempt this >.>
Went on another path instead and installed VMware Workstation 9 (was testing previously) and configured for HDD passthrough. Magically everything seems to be working and I have successfully created a raidz2 volume.
I guess this should work fine until Hyper-V matures a bit more.
FYI 8 x 2TB HDDs in raidz2 mode gives 10TB of usable space, not too bad.

I also tried Hyper-V but without much success. I tried VMware, but it keeps adding my drives as IDE, so I have no way to add in 6 drives as IDE is limited to just 4. Any idea how I can force the drives into SCSI mode in VMware?

Status
Not open for further replies.