FreeNAS won't boot unless a CD drive is present in Hyper-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revilo

Dabbler
I am running FreeNAS in a Hyper-V VM (4 x vCPU, 8192MB RAM, 2TB HDD attached directly, 8GB boot drive VHD, 32GB VHD drive for jails etc.)
Physical machine specs: i7-3970k, 24GB RAM; running Win2012R2

I have been trying to upgrade My FreeNAS 9.10.1-U1 installation for some time now but every new version that came out would not boot after install (failed on mountroot) so I decided to do a clean install when FreeNAS 11.0-U1 came out and migrate the old configuration over.
I managed to run up VirtualBox, attach the VHD's for the 'old' FreeNAS install and load up FreeNAS 11 from grub menu and then export the configuration files from the WebGUI so I didn't have to do configure FreeNAS manually; which worked out great!

Anyway, I then went back to Hyper-V, installed FreeNAS 11 on a new 8GB VHD and allowed it to boot to the WebGUI. I then removed the CD drive in Hyper-V and booted the new VM again but it would hang just after 'nvme cam probe device init'.
I then shut the VM down and attached the 32GB VHD and 2TB drives in the same way as my old VM was configured in Hyper-V (with the physical drive being in the same IDE position as the CD drive would have been - IDE controller 1 Lun 1) and booted again. This time after the device probe message I get a stack trace message that never stop (I guess this is a kernel panic).
I then proceeded to remove the drives and place the CD drive back on IDE controller 1 Lun 1 and boot the VM up again. It booted fine!
I then added the drives back, making sure to keep the CD drive attached in the same position and again, the VM started fine. I was able to restore the configuration and restart without issues.

The problem I have now is that I have a virtual CD drive that can't be removed from the FreeNAS VM (thankfully I didn't also need an image attached to the drive too!) and I need the extra IDE port for another VHD.

Does anyone know why this is happening? (I know Hyper-V isn't the best but I tried migrating to ESXi and it caused a host of other issues for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.