FreeNAS 10 ALPHA and Hyper-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregecSLO

Cadet
Hi all!

I downloaded and installed FreeNAS 10 ALPHA to 2012 R2 Hyper-V server and figured out, that there is still no support for native network adapters and legacy network adapters still require UP/DOWN for traffic to start flowing trough.

It was my understanding that with FreeBSD 10 (which I tried and it works out of the box) and FreeNAS 10 there would be native support for net drivers, shutdown via hyper-v manager, time sync etc...

With FreeBSD 10 it works as it should but with FreeNAS it doesn`t.

Any idea when this will be implemented?

Thanks!

Regards,
Greg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
GregecSLO,

FreeNAS 10 is alpha software.. it's *extremely* experimental and is nothing more than something you can play around with to see where things are going. That being said nobody here is going to have an answer to your question and more than likely the developers aren't even working on 10 to a significant extent. 9.3 is currently in full development mode.

One thing I'll add is that using FreeNAS in a VM is just not recommended in the slightest. Choosing to do so basically means you are ignoring the advice of all of our moderators and the experience of dozens of users that have lost their data without warning because of virtualization. In essence, proceed at your own risk.

GregecSLO

Cadet
Hi!
Yeah I know it is thats why I`m playing with it :)
I just expected that HyperV is finally supported but I was wrong.

GregecSLO

Cadet
Oh and I use virtualized NAS for testing purposes only (iSCSI etc...) It is very cost efficient.

OldGreyGeek

Cadet
Virtualization isn't new. Might be time to work on making FreeNAS more stable as a VM rather than putting time into side projects such as support for things like comic book downloader plugins. Comic books are great and everything, but working hot spare physical disks would be a more useful feature that goes to the core purpose of FreeNAS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.