Mirrored boot drive -> USB 2.0 or 3.0?

Ignacio97

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to build a new FreeNAS box and I would like to know which of the following options do you would to choose (and why).
  • 2x Sandisk 32 GB 2.0 (sdcz33-032g-b35)
  • 2x Sandisk 32 GB 3.0 (sdcz33-032g-a46)

Thanks a lot.

Redcoat

MVP
Based on my experience with Sandisk Cruzer USB I would not choose either of those, but opt for a single SSD as boot drive, or even a small laptop SATA harddrive.

If I were forced to choose one of your two options I would go with the USB2 version and not the USB3.

Reason 1 - USB drives are subject to short lives with FreeNAS and are no longer the #1 recommendation for boot drives.
Reason 2 - I personally had multiple bad experiences with Sandisk Cruzers, solving my situation with old laptop hard drives that I had on the shelf as I had the open SATA ports to run them on. I am now using ebay used SSD's also.
Reason 3 - Many reports here suggest that USB3 sticks have shorter lives than USB2.

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard

Ignacio97

Dabbler
Thanks to both of you. Starting with this, I'll go for 2x 2.0 USB.
May be, after that, I'll consider to get a single SSD.

(A thing that I did not told you, at this moment I have a single USB 3.0 running FreeNAS, with no problems since 2018. This stick is made by plastic... And now, I want to choose for a metal one)

Thanks again.

pinoli

Dabbler
Thanks to both of you. Starting with this, I'll go for 2x 2.0 USB.
May be, after that, I'll consider to get a single SSD.

(A thing that I did not told you, at this moment I have a single USB 3.0 running FreeNAS, with no problems since 2018. This stick is made by plastic... And now, I want to choose for a metal one)

Thanks again.

nice, I am pulling the trigger on the dual SanDisk stick. I'd love to avoid cables, and in this way I'll be able to test it for the community.
I'll let you know down the road...
thanks