In need of advices for my first FreeNAS Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuldar

Dabbler
You can install linux, virtualize freenas through kvm and passthrough the HBA.
I have such a box running.
But I'm 15 years in unix/Linux.
I would not recommend that a beginner.
I won't do it anyway. It's just something that came to mind but it's clearly not what I need.

I just went through my first build and had the same dilemma. I believe you'll find more and more builds based on Skylake in the coming years... it is still relatively new in the FreeNAS arena. Ultimately, when I got down to really deciding, I started looking at the hardware specs in the signatures of the forum members... especially those who have written extensively here. I figured if I could find a system or two that I could model my own after, I would be able to ask for help... I wasn't blazing a new trail. In fact, I'm not ashamed to admit that I essentially modeled my build based on what @Ericloewe is using... Figured he wrote the resource guide on X10 and X11 boards, in addition to many other hardware selection resource guides... probably a safe guy to follow. ;)
Yeah it's also something I considered doing. I'll think it over and probably decide tomorrow. Problem is, I live in France and the prices here are not really the same. After doing a bit of research, total price is going to be around 1.900 €. So that gives me the time to really think the whole thing through as I won't be able to buy everything anyway :).

For RAIDZ2 I personally feel that a 4 drive configuration is a tragic waste of space and that a 6 drive configuration is minimum.

Check this out to help you decide for yourself:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/38092/
Thank you for the read. I bookmarked it for tomorrow. The ultimate goal is to upgrade to 6 or 8 drives, but as @MatthewSteinhoff said, it's probably better to use mirrored with 4 drives.

GBillR

Contributor
Hey guys,

Here is the updated part list with X11 !

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7TnwCy

Thank you all for your help.
The only potential issue I see is the RAM. I can't be certain, but it doesn't seem to match what crucial's website shows as compatible for that board. Did you try the tool on the Crucial site to see?

When I run the tool, I come up with the attached (filtered for 16GB sticks only). The link: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Supermicro/x11ssm-f

If some other source pointed you to the stick you selected, I would verify it.

Also, I should point out the recent post in this subform by @JoshDW19 - https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...as-required-reading-for-this-sub-forum.49459/. PC Parts Picker lists are "highly discouraged". :oops:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 299

Zuldar

Dabbler
No, no one pointed me towards it. I just filtered based on what I had read for X10. Since I couldn't find a Samsung, I went for Crucial using DDR4-2133 / ECC / UDIMM filter.
Sorry for using part picker, I'll replace the links in the post.
So this is the RAM I should buy ?
I can't find it anywhere else than Crucial site, guess I'll have to pay premium for this one :p
I see why one stick of 16GB would be better than 2x8 if I plan on the future but isn't it better to have 2x8 in case the RAM fails somehow? I won't be taking 32GB right now at this price.

Edit : Here is the list with Amazon. http://a.co/0bAakD9
Until I'm sure I didn't add the RAM. Since you can't put the number of desired items in this list, you should add one SSD and 3 HDDs.

Last edited:

GBillR

Contributor
No, no one pointed me towards it. I just filtered based on what I had read for X10. Since I couldn't find a Samsung, I went for Crucial using DDR4-2133 / ECC / UDIMM filter.
Sorry for using part picker, I'll replace the links in the post.

So this is the RAM I should buy ?
I can't find it anywhere else than Crucial site, guess I'll have to pay premium for this one :p
I see why one stick of 16GB would be better than 2x8 if I plan on the future but isn't it better to have 2x8 in case the RAM fails somehow? I won't be taking 32GB right now at this price.
The RAM should have a lifetime warranty (especially if you buy direct from Crucial), so I would go with 16GB sticks if the price is close to 2x8GB. It gives you the flexibility later to max the board out at 64GB.
Any of the 3 16GB sticks listed should work for you... according to Crucial. Not sure why you selected that specific one... it's Low Profile. For FreeNAS, I personally would go with the PC4-17000 stick (CT7982341), but the choice is obviously yours. If you google that part number, you'll even find a few hits from this forum.

Regardless, have you looked to see if you can source the ram from this post: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/finalized-server-upgrade.40696/#post-257098?

I think the crucial RAM will work fine... but the sticks listed in that post are on Supermicro's QVL. Being that you are in India, I'm not sure what the availability is for RAM.

Zuldar

Dabbler
Yup none of the Samsung and Hynix are available to deliver here. Whether I use Amazon, Google shopping or local retail websites. Local Samsung doesn't sell RAM on their website and I can't even find the RAM on Hynix website.
I guess I'll have to buy from Crucial. I honestly don't know why I selected this one, I had a long day I'm probably tired. So I'll go with CT7982341 got it, I'll bookmark it.

I'll try again tomorrow to search for Samsung and Hynix, you never know.

Thank you very much !

Edit : Oh, eBay. I'm going to get some sleep now.

GBillR

Contributor
Hello everyone,

I just want to be sure, it's this one, right?
That looks to be right. It matches the part number I bought and installed in my X11SSM-F.

Zuldar

Dabbler
Thank you very much!
I can start buying everything now, I'm so hyped =D.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Zuldar

Dabbler
Hello everyone !

Thanks to you I got everything together. My box is up and running and FreeNAS is installed. Before I started doing anything after the installation, I read some more material and the fact that I don't have any UPS had me worried :p
I'm not quite sure what to buy so I come to you once again. At first I wanted to go with what @cyberjock has in his signature but I found out that the UPS also had to be optimized (as in if the box consumes less than 15% of the UPS power it's not good for the batteries).
So I narrowed it down to 3 of them :
My PSU is a 650W so my guts tells me I should go with CP1350PFCLCD. Do you have any insights for me? Should I go with 1500 to be safe or would 1000 be enough considering I already have some margin with the PSU?

Thank you very much !

Zuldar

Status
Not open for further replies.