Manually renaming plugin jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertymodo

Contributor
I am attempting to rename a few jails created by plugins that, by default, create really lousy jail names, like customplugin_1. Trying to keep track of which jail corresponds to which plugin when they're named like that is a real pain. Unfortunately, the FreeNAS devs have officially declared this feature request a wontfix, so I'm trying to manually rename them. I've gotten most of the way based on the steps outlined here, but there are a few nagging issues. For one, once I made these changes, I started getting the following message over and over in my syslog:

Code:
May 19 20:11:35 freenas winbindd[7621]: [2014/05/19 20:11:35.387949,  0] ../source3/winbindd/winbindd_cache.c:3196(initialize_winbindd_cache)
May 19 20:11:35 freenas winbindd[7621]:  initialize_winbindd_cache: clearing cache and re-creating with version number 2

Also, after making these changes, the web UI becoming very sluggish, and some UI menus not loading at all, instead displaying "An error occurred". This also corresponded to my NAS being reassigned a new IP address every time I reboot, whereas until this point, it had kept the same IP address since I first installed it, and now it's changed IP addresses 4 times in the last 24 hours (I've rebooted that many times while working on this). Yes, I'm eventually going to switch to a static IP address, and yes, this doesn't really matter, but it's still a symptom of these changes.

Another issue is that now, the plugins aren't showing up in the left-hand panel like they used to. Normally, the "Plugins" entry in the left-hand panel has a '+' and expands to list the plugins, but now it doesn't.
plugins.png

When I go to View Volumes, one of the renamed jails doesn't show up as a child of my jail root, it shows up as its own separate entry.
volumes.png

Any ideas? Before anyone replies to tell me it's not supported, fine, I get it. I'd be all for a real solution in the GUI, but we're not going to get one. And I'm not at all interested in dealing with a bunch of plugin jails named customplugin_n, so "just live with it" really isn't helpful either, despite the fact that it's basically been the answer everywhere I've looked. If renaming jails after the fact isn't going to happen, there should at least be some way of selecting the name at install time, but if that's not an option, I just want to figure out how to fix this mess now that it's been created. Mainly, the winbindd issue, as that actually seems to be causing performance issues, but the others would be nice to fix as well.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not supported dingbat!

Scared ya, didn't I?

I did try to fix that once and I was going to do a guide for others in the hacking section of the forums. But I couldn't get it to work and I actually gave up on plugins completely so I never got a guide going for it. It's much messier than you think because you'll have to rename your jail's datasets and your jail's snapshots if I remember correctly. Basically it's just shy of "impossibly hard" to do on a production machine.

qwertymodo

Contributor
Not supported dingbat!

Scared ya, didn't I?
Not really, I was expecting as much going in, based on the information I was able to glean from the almighty Google. However, not supported and not possible are two different things. If I blow up my machine in the process, that's my mess to clean up, so be it.

It's much messier than you think because you'll have to rename your jail's datasets and your jail's snapshots if I remember correctly. Basically it's just shy of "impossibly hard" to do on a production machine.

I don't have any snapshots yet, so I didn't have to mess with that. I did rename the datasets, as well as the metadata folder, and all host references in any config files I could find, AND the jail name reference in the /data/freenas-v1.db database. The issues I was seeing seem to have cleared up after a couple more reboots... we shall see.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. the line is very thin between not supported and not possible. Possible can mean almost anything from "run 2 commands" to "we need a team of developers, $2million, and 2 years".

Generally if it's not supported we don't even reply because it gives future readers the impression that it's a good idea. And what IT guy won't try to do something even after warnings like:

[panel]***WARNING: This will f*ck your computer on purpose!!!***[/panel]​
IT people seem to be quite dense and will disregard warnings, even when it says things like "this applies to you quertymodo". Sad but true.​
If you do figure it out you might want to throw a guide in the how-to section/hacking for future people that want to try it.​

qwertymodo

Contributor
Well, small update. The second photo I posted actually just seems to be how the UI handles long path names within narrow columns. The hierarchy is actually intact. So, I *think* it may have actually worked, between a couple of reboots and some things turning out to be nothing at all...

qwertymodo

Contributor
That's pretty much all there is to it. I tried it out, and it's been working great (well, it was until my mobo went belly up, but that's completely unrelated). That bugtracker link you posted was exactly how I did it, but I went ahead and fleshed out the steps a bit more here

Status
Not open for further replies.