Cannot start Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBestIGot

Dabbler
jexec jail_name or JID number csh then run the command to start couchpotato.

To list the jails by JID number type jls from the main shell.

So it turns out that starting the couchpotato plugin via cli (jexec couchpotato_2 csh; service couchpotato onestart) does start the plugin. Though when I try to do it via Web GUI, it fails.

What does this all mean?!!

TheBestIGot

Dabbler

OK, so the service does start when going into the jail via CLI, then doing a onestart. i.e.
jexec couchpotato csh
service couchpotato onestart

The service starts, but then stops itself about a minute later.

TheBestIGot

Dabbler

So no more replies? This issue is still not fixed. The Plugins are a complete mess and are very unreliable. I'm hoping that either support or an updated feature will get this resolved. Please let me know if there are any other troubleshooting steps that are available.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So no more replies? This issue is still not fixed. The Plugins are a complete mess and are very unreliable. I'm hoping that either support or an updated feature will get this resolved. Please let me know if there are any other troubleshooting steps that are available.
Your impatient because no one responded to your post where you provided no information about your problem, no system specs, on a thread that you didn't start. Read the forum rules and try again.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well they are not broken so an update will not fix them. They are only broken for you. And who is this support you are referring to? No one is going to fix this for you, you need to learn and fix it yourself.

What errors do you get when your service goes down?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TheBestIGot

Dabbler
Your impatient because no one responded to your post where you provided no information about your problem, no system specs, on a thread that you didn't start. Read the forum rules and try again.

Actually, I did. It was the 3rd post (2nd post of mine) that provided the information and logs with all the additional information as an attachment, right after it was asked for. I'm new to these forums, so I wasn't aware of the posting rules when I started.

Also, yes, I am impatient when I've been troubleshooting this for almost a week on this forum with no results with such a pricey product.

TheBestIGot

Dabbler
Well they are not broken so an update will not fix them. They are only broken for you. And who is this support you are referring to? No one is going to fix this for you, you need to learn and fix it yourself.

What errors do you get when your service goes down?

I understand, and believe me when I tell you I'm a huge DIY-er. But after a while, I can only debug something so far before I start becoming an expert in something that was advertised as a point-and-click setup. However, I would disagree with the plugins not being broken. I've seen several forum posts referring to this exact issue with multiple plugins. So yes, while it is broken for me, it seems the architecture is far from perfect.

Overall, I like the FreeNAS product. But I've been troubleshooting something from the very beginning of trying to use it. While I have done several things, in retrospect, made it worse. Ultimately, this is not a plug-and-play unit when I see myself and several other people troubleshooting the same exact issue. If you don't believe me, try Googling "freenas plugin won't start". http://bfy.tw/9s8h

Coming to the realization that this product is not truly supported by FreeNAS via this forum. Am I to assume there isn't any official support for this?

To answer your question, I don't see an error on the Web GUI. I just look like it "spins" for a while until it just shows it is not enabled again. It took some digging to find the logs needed to troubleshoot this, but when I did I found lines like this:

Jan 28 09:16:40 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:577] Couldn't retrieve http://<FreeNAS IP>/plugins/couchpotato/7/_s/treemenu: timed out

I got into the SSH and ran 'jls' to allow me to run 'jexec <number of jail> csh', then ran 'service couchpotato onestart'. The service looked to have started and the Web GUI showed the same thing. However, after waiting about 5 minutes, the service crashed again with the same error.

I have tried removing and re-adding the plugin and that doesn't seem to work. The jails all look like they are working and the same IP and Gateway config works for some for other plugins just fine. So I'm pretty lost in what I can possibly do next.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Actually, I did. It was the 3rd post (2nd post of mine) that provided the information and logs with all the additional information as an attachment, right after it was asked for. I'm new to these forums, so I wasn't aware of the posting rules when I started.

Also, yes, I am impatient when I've been troubleshooting this for almost a week on this forum with no results with such a pricey product.
Why are you posting under 2 usernames in the same thread? See the confusion that creates?

TheBestIGot

Dabbler
Why are you posting under 2 usernames in the same thread? See the confusion that creates?
Oh good God. Sorry, Jailer. You are right. Turns out I have 2 usernames going on. I'm going to have to delete one of those accounts. Thanks for the heads up on that.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
I can fix this. One moment.

Edit: Problem resolved. Your posts have been moved over to the account TheBestIGot. Please do not go back and try to replace your posts with dots. People are trying to help you, but it becomes very difficult once you use multiple accounts and go back and edit posts to say nothing. I've reverted the posts that were edited with dots. Continued behaviors like this may lead to your being removed from the community.

Thank you.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I understand, and believe me when I tell you I'm a huge DIY-er. But after a while, I can only debug something so far before I start becoming an expert in something that was advertised as a point-and-click setup. However, I would disagree with the plugins not being broken. I've seen several forum posts referring to this exact issue with multiple plugins. So yes, while it is broken for me, it seems the architecture is far from perfect.

Overall, I like the FreeNAS product. But I've been troubleshooting something from the very beginning of trying to use it. While I have done several things, in retrospect, made it worse. Ultimately, this is not a plug-and-play unit when I see myself and several other people troubleshooting the same exact issue. If you don't believe me, try Googling "freenas plugin won't start". http://bfy.tw/9s8h

Coming to the realization that this product is not truly supported by FreeNAS via this forum. Am I to assume there isn't any official support for this?

To answer your question, I don't see an error on the Web GUI. I just look like it "spins" for a while until it just shows it is not enabled again. It took some digging to find the logs needed to troubleshoot this, but when I did I found lines like this:

Jan 28 09:16:40 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:577] Couldn't retrieve http://<FreeNAS IP>/plugins/couchpotato/7/_s/treemenu: timed out

I got into the SSH and ran 'jls' to allow me to run 'jexec <number of jail> csh', then ran 'service couchpotato onestart'. The service looked to have started and the Web GUI showed the same thing. However, after waiting about 5 minutes, the service crashed again with the same error.

I have tried removing and re-adding the plugin and that doesn't seem to work. The jails all look like they are working and the same IP and Gateway config works for some for other plugins just fine. So I'm pretty lost in what I can possibly do next.
So the error your are seeing means there is probably a network problem. From the jail can you ping your freenas IP? Can you ping your gateway? Can you ping Google? From a system in your network can you ping your jail?

All the problems you see from people with jails is that they either change the permissions of the jail which destroys it or they don't know how to setup their network. I don't think there has ever been a problem because jails are broken.

TheBestIGot

Dabbler
So the error your are seeing means there is probably a network problem. From the jail can you ping your freenas IP? Can you ping your gateway? Can you ping Google? From a system in your network can you ping your jail?

All the problems you see from people with jails is that they either change the permissions of the jail which destroys it or they don't know how to setup their network. I don't think there has ever been a problem because jails are broken.

Yes, I checked network connectivity. Also, other jails/plugins are working with the same network settings.
I didn't touch any of the permissions of the plugin after re-installing.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can't just say you checked it. You have to provide proof and command output. You don't know what is wrong so how can anyone trust you know what a working network looks like.

TheBestIGot

Dabbler
You can't just say you checked it. You have to provide proof and command output. You don't know what is wrong so how can anyone trust you know what a working network looks like.

Well, I did and networking checks out - routing, subnet range, etc. Though, I figured out what the issue was. Everything is on the same subnet, but for some reason, FreeNAS assigned the CouchPotato jail the same MAC address as another jail.

As a result, the ARP tables were all messed up and was causing, pretty much, the all the issues I was seeing. I assigned a different MAC address to the CouchPotato jail, rebooted the FreeNAS, and wiped ARP references on my laptop.

After that, everything started up perfectly fine and I can now see it started on FreeNAS's web interface and everything is working with CouchPotato.

I guess the core issue to this is that FreeNAS is assigning the same MAC more than once. Is there some kind of inventory check before FreeNAS creates the jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.