Major file size increase when moving media to zfs.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I built me a nas server to hold my media I put in 4 WD 4Tb red nas hard drives. I transferred from my windows server 1.43 Tb of movies and videos. 119 Gb of photos and 393 Gb of music files the movies section came out to nearly 2.5 Tb The 119Gb of photos cane out to 1.3 Tb and the 390 Gb of music came out to almost 2.7 Tb . What would cause the files to expand so drastically? I bought sixteen Tb of hard drives thinking I could get 7 or so Tb of useable space to store my less than two Tb of data and have room to grow. But to my amazement the two Tb exceeded the 80% and wouldn't even finish downloading my music.

guermantes

Patron
Did you actually have to stop transferring files because the zfs pool filled up? Or was this only on the "reporting side of things ". Because windows does not report file and directory sizes correctly on my freenas either, they are about 8 times inflated. When checking sizes at the command line on the server all is fine though.

Did you actually have to stop transferring files because the zfs pool filled up? Or was this only on the "reporting side of things ". Because windows does not report file and directory sizes correctly on my freenas either, they are about 8 times inflated. When checking sizes at the command line on the server all is fine though.
I wonder why that is it really had me going. I have since reinstalled but now it wont let me copy to my shares.