BUILD First Timer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Explorer
Cool. I just placed orders for everything. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thank you again for all your help.

Have a great 4th of July!

pschatz100

Guru
For what you have described, a Xeon is overkill. A modern day Pentium processor will provide enough horsepower for file sharing and running Plex, even transcoding one video stream. Pentiums also run cool, which is a big plus in my book. If you want a little more headroom, a Core i3 will give you plenty of power for running Plex and transcoding two video streams. I'm running a Core i3 3240 and have not yet pushed the processor to its limits.

Don't worry about using a previous generation processor. You will not push the processor to its limit, so save a little money on the processor and put it into RAM memory. If you plan on supporting 8-10TB of storage, a minimum 16GB of memory is a must.

Maturola

Explorer
For what you have described, a Xeon is overkill. A modern day Pentium processor will provide enough horsepower for file sharing and running Plex, even transcoding one video stream. Pentiums also run cool, which is a big plus in my book. If you want a little more headroom, a Core i3 will give you plenty of power for running Plex and transcoding two video streams. I'm running a Core i3 3240 and have not yet pushed the processor to its limits.

Don't worry about using a previous generation processor. You will not push the processor to its limit, so save a little money on the processor and put it into RAM memory. If you plan on supporting 8-10TB of storage, a minimum 16GB of memory is a must.

We have a brief discussion earlier about it, the saving between i3 even pentium over the Xeon did not worth the trouble (with combo savings and sales it was about $50 delta). for that small delta it is better to be future proof and have all the extra power available if ever needed

Status
Not open for further replies.