BUILD First Timer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Explorer
The i3 should be enough if you only transcode one thing at a time. If you buy the boxed version of whatever processor you choose, the stock cooler is enough (if you buy the tray version, you need to supply your own cooler).

I don't see a situation where I'll be transcoding more than one Blu Ray at a time. If the i3 will work in this scenario, then I will start looking at i3 compatible hardware and compare pricing to the Xeon setup I listed above.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't see a situation where I'll be transcoding more than one Blu Ray at a time. If the i3 will work in this scenario, then I will start looking at i3 compatible hardware and compare pricing to the Xeon setup I listed above.

Hardware is the exact same, assuming you go for the same generation.

Maturola

Explorer

I ordered the same hardware on your list couple of days ago, I compared it with the i3 options and the savings were about $80 ish ... IMO i didn't think it worth it. I rather have the extra power there available if I ever need it. (that said, that it is more of a personal preference than a hard requirement).

Here is the Power Supply and Cooler I picked, just for your reference.

Power supply: SeaSonic SSP-450RT $65 ish

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i - Note that Stock CPU cooler would work, I just really hate those things, the Noctua is quieter, and it keep the CPU a little cooler than stock.

engmsf

Dabbler
Thank you for giving me an idea of what your current system is capable of. It makes me think that an I3 is still a good option for me.

I think you can get others to weigh in on their Plex experience before making the i3 plunge. My Plex system is on a consumer board (Node 304, Gigabyte H87N-WIFI and 16GB ram). I am not sure if there is much more 'overhead' on a server board.

_Will_

Explorer
Hardware is the exact same, assuming you go for the same generation.

Thanks, you just saved me research time. Any specific model number i3 recommended for the setup/transcoding I'm looking for?

Also, are there any other areas to cut costs? Would changing to a Micro ATX or standard ATX cut costs?

_Will_

Explorer
I ordered the same hardware on your list couple of days ago, I compared it with the i3 options and the savings were about $80 ish ... IMO i didn't think it worth it. I rather have the extra power there available if I ever need it. (that said, that it is more of a personal preference than a hard requirement).

Here is the Power Supply and Cooler I picked, just for your reference.

Power supply: SeaSonic SSP-450RT $65 ish

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i - Note that Stock CPU cooler would work, I just really hate those things, the Noctua is quieter, and it keep the CPU a little cooler than stock.
Very helpful, thank you! What is the specific Xeon E3 you went with?

_Will_

Explorer
I think you can get others to weigh in on their Plex experience before making the i3 plunge. My Plex system is on a consumer board (Node 304, Gigabyte H87N-WIFI and 16GB ram). I am not sure if there is much more 'overhead' on a server board.

Thanks for commenting on this. If "Maturola" is correct about the difference between the i3 and Xeon setups being only $80 then I'll probably just go with the Xeon.

_Will_

Explorer
I went with the E3-1231 V3. The combo with the E3C226D2I have a $30 discount (Total $455 for both)
Sweet! I didn't see that combo deal anywhere maybe I missed it or maybe it expired? Where did you buy them from?

Maturola

Explorer
Sweet! I didn't see that combo deal anywhere maybe I missed it or maybe it expired? Where did you buy them from?

Here is the Combo from newegg d

Combos in Neweggs are hard to find, if that link doesn't work or you want a combo with another processor, this is what you do.

Go to the MOBo page >

Scroll down to the "Shopping Insight" and right below the yellow button that reads "View Details >" there is a link to
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)]
Browse More Combos
[/COLOR]

There you can find combos with pretty much all the xeon processors

_Will_

Explorer
Here is the Combo from newegg d

Combos in Neweggs are hard to find, if that link doesn't work or you want a combo with another processor, this is what you do.

Go to the MOBo page >

Scroll down to the "Shopping Insight" and right below the yellow button that reads "View Details >" there is a link to
[/COLOR]

There you can find combos with pretty much all the xeon processors
Perfect, the link worked. That will definitely come in handy, thanks!

Btw, how did you determine what size power supply we need? I haven't started researching that yet.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Btw, how did you determine what size power supply we need? I haven't started researching that yet.

Count on 30W per 5400RPM HDD, plus 60W for the rest of the system at startup. A Seasonic G-450, for instance, is good for some ~13HDDs.

Maturola

Explorer

It is about 30W per HDD, 80W CPU (absolutely max), add 20% in top. that's about ~ 300W (ish).

I am a big fan of the seasonic and I went and found the smallest one that can support 6 SATA power connectors and I found SeaSonic SSP-450RT

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It is about 30W per HDD, 80W CPU (absolutely max), add 20% in top. that's about ~ 300W (ish).

I am a big fan of the seasonic and I went and found the smallest one that can support 6 SATA power connectors and I found SeaSonic SSP-450RT

No modern CPU will come close to 80W at boot. 60W is plenty for the system, assuming there's no crazy cooling solution in the mix.

_Will_

Explorer

I am looking at the specs for the power supply you spec'd out and it looks like it only has 4 SATA power connectors. Am I missing something?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am looking at the specs for the power supply you spec'd out and it looks like it only has 4 SATA power connectors. Am I missing something?

You can always just add cables. I would recommend you go with the slightly higher-end G-series (model numbers end in RM instead of RT), though.

Maturola

Explorer

Yeah, Sorry about that, that's the one i was using since i was initially going with only 4 drives.

This is the one I ordered SSR-450RM (it is the G series as Eric mentioned just above)

_Will_

Explorer
Thanks for the clarification guys!

Have you started assembling Maturola?

Status
Not open for further replies.