first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos D

Dabbler
I'm woring on a new build, just trying to decide the hardware, I'm basically looking for a nas that will serve 2 or 3 users max..

I don't want to go for the cheapest option but not looking at the most expensive setup possible, specially because the usage will be moderate/low. I will be storing important files so I want something reliable, somewhere between recommended settings and high end hardware..

- What's the recommended motherboard?
- Recommended RAM?
- For hdd, is it better to have the same storage for all drives? e.g. 2 x 4tb VS 1 x 4tb + 2 x 2tb? Does it make a difference?
- I'm planning to go for WD 3tb red.. Anyone here had any issues with them? Should I go for 2tb or 4tb instead?

Thanks!

melloa

Wizard
@Carlos D ,

Your questions are not easily answered as all will depend on what you want to get out of your server. If you are using it as a NAS only, your requirements will be less than if you are planning to run other applications in it (i.e. Plex, OwnCloud, etc).

Take a look at the recommended hardware https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/ to have an idea of what the FreeNAS team recommends.

Once you provide more information I'm sure the folks here will be able to guide you better, but regarding:

- I'm planning to go for WD 3tb red..

IMHO you can't go wrong with WD Red. That's what I use and have never had a problem. Here's couple thoughts:

- Burn the disks to ensure they won't give you problem and to indentify bad disks while under warranty and without any data in it. Here's a good tool from the forum: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-freenas-scripts-including-disk-burnin.28/

Should I go for 2tb or 4tb instead?

You should consider:

1. The available SATA ports/Space requirements
  2. Cost of the terrabyte
  3. Your wallet
  4. Your future space need
With that in mind you decide what to use.

To better understand how to setup your volumes, check: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Also catch-up on some terminology, is always helpful: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Welcome and good luck!

Dice

Wizard
I will be storing important files so I want something reliable,
Plan for a backup solution.

Start off by googling the 3-2-1 backup strategy. Use it is a template and source of inspiration to figure out <how> important your files are to you and what measures you are willing to undertake to protect them.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree with the comments above. Just to touch on a few of them...

1) Do you plan to use Plex or run VMs? This computes into CPU and RAM requirements.
2) How much hard drive storage will you need? You need to take a stab at what you need today and double that capacity as we all tend to store a lot more data over a 3+ year period (warranty of the drives), then add 20% to that in order to maintain a healthy pool (you should never hit 80% full and if you hit 90% full then it will jump into an optimized mode and FreeNAS will slow down considerably). If you are planning to run iSCSI then that means you should not go over 50% full.

Example: Six 3TB hard drives would yield you 8.7TB (10.9TB-2.2TB=8.7TB) of usable storage in a RAIDZ2 configuration.

You already expressed you wanted reliable storage and you were storing important files so this indicated a RAIDZ2 setup at a minimum.

If you just want a reliable setup and you only need 6 or 7 hard drives, buy something like the Supermicro X11SSM-F, E3-1240v5 CPU (boxed with fan), 32GB ECC RAM (pair of 16GB), 1 small SSD for boot device, and 6 hard drives (size dependant on data storage needs), try to leave one SATA port open if you can but if you need it, add another hard drive, a 450 Watt power supply, case with good air flow, and I think that is about it. This is not an expensive setup and is definately in the middle of the road and a solid performer, and this is just an example.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's the recommended motherboard?
The Proliant ML10 is under US$200, and I think it's the best thing going right now. Add at least 8 GB of RAM (plenty of good options; I'd suggest crucial.com if you don't have another strong preference), add disks and a boot device, and you're ready to go.

melloa

Wizard
The Proliant ML10 is under US$200,

Interesting for an entry level system (and pretty good for a NAS). The specs https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-c...hpe-proliant-ml10-gen9-server.1008686780.html says it has four DIMM slots, so I'd go with 16GB instead of 8GB, if no applications were to be run in it.

Disk configuration would be limited to six: five for pool plus one boot or six for pool and usb boot.

I don't think you can buy anything cheaper than that for sure. Will consider for any family/friend request for a small system. Own you a dog at the Varsity!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, an i3-6100 and six bays at that price point sound like a very good deal. I don't know if it's available in .ca, but it would be worth looking into.

danb35

Hall of Famer
For hdd, is it better to have the same storage for all drives?
Generally, yes. If you put disks of mixed sizes into the same RAID group (or vdev), the capacity of that vdev will be limited by the smallest disk. So, I have a RAIDZ2 vdev consisting of two 2 TB disks, and four 3 TB disks. But they might as well all be 2 TB for all the good they're doing me right now (the system grew that way over time; the 2 TB disks will be replaced as they fail).

Is there a budget/intended use in mind? Both would help to give better recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.