First FreeNAS (Family File-/Media Server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaWolfX

Explorer
Hi guys,

I am planning on building my first FreeNAS server. I have some requirements for the server and I although I have read up on some stuff I would like to check with you guys here if everything is feasible with FreeNAS and get any comments/feedback you might have. I would also like your input on hardware selection. I typically overkill and would really appreciate any input you might have so that I do not overspend on unnecessary specs. E.g. memory type / how much, do I need read/write cache, motherboard etc.?

It is going to be a family server primarily used for media streaming and as a file server. There will be a common storage space (min. 10 TB, with option for future expantion) for media (movies, music, pictures, books, etc.) as well as personal storage spaces (min. 100 GB) for each member. The server will be located at a location with internet speed 200/200 mb. Both common and personal directories should be able to be mapped as "network drives" on the users personal computers outside the server local network, so that file handling can be done as if the user was operating on folders on the local computer (what solutions are available for this?). Certain important server folders/storage locations/directories (like pictures) should be backed up regularly to an "off site server" (possibly also FreeNAS). Preventing loss of data and data integrity is important. I do not want to loose my media :) Security? VPN?

Main objectives:
- Media Server (streaming HD movies and music) via Plex
- File Server
- Backup

Number of users:
Total: 8
Simultaneous access: 3-4 (e.g. streaming movies / transferring files)

Appreciate any comments and input you might have! :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Both common and personal directories should be able to be mapped as "network drives" on the users personal computers outside the server local network, so that file handling can be done as if the user was operating on folders on the local computer (what solutions are available for this?).
If your users are connecting via a VPN, they can probably access the shared directories using the normal file sharing protocols (SMB, most likely). That's really the only safe way to do this. I like to run the VPN server on my edge device (a pfSense router), but it can be done in a FreeNAS jail as well.
Certain important server folders/storage locations/directories (like pictures) should be backed up regularly to an "off site server" (possibly also FreeNAS).
Replication will take care of that, if you do indeed use another FreeNAS box
do I need read/write cache
There is no write cache in ZFS, and nothing about your proposed use case sounds like you'd need a read cache.

For the rest of the hardware, a current (i.e., SuperMicro X11-series) board (the X11SSL-F is a good choice; if you want to be able to add more drives, the X11SSL-CF has an onboard SAS HBA and might be a better choice), current version of the E3-1230, and a 16 GB stick of unbuffered ECC RAM should do, with 6 x 4 TB disks in RAIDZ2. If you want room for expansion, get a 12-bay (or even 24-bay) rack chassis with a SAS expander backplane, and add disks in groups of six as needed.

You might save some money on the initial outlay by buying somewhat older hardware, though you may make up the difference in power costs. My system, minus the drives and 10G NIC, cost me about US$1200 a couple of years back; similar deals are still out there, though shipping to .no will be a complication.

adrianwi

Guru
So people actually need remote access to the common files? Wouldn't these be best served via a Media Server such as Plex/Emby/etc.?

For personal storage and sharing both locally and remotely, something like ownCloud/Nextcloud might be a better solution than having to configure VPN and file sharing, unless of course, they need access to the network remotely for other things.

I do all this, and more, using FreeNAS :D

danb35

Hall of Famer
something like ownCloud/Nextcloud might be a better solution than having to configure VPN and file sharing
I'd tend to agree, but that means each user is going to be keeping a local copy of their data in addition to what's on the server. Pros and cons there, of course, but it's at least something to consider.

SeaWolfX

Explorer
Thanks for your input guys! With regards to the common files; yes, they would need remote access in order to upload new media files to the server (and also to retrieve files for other usage than streaming). In general I am looking for a "file operation solution" that creates the least hassle to use. I.e. the closer to the "files / folder operation on your own computer" experience the better. Another point I forgot to mention in the OP is that is should also be possible to access personal files on other computers/locations than the one you would typically use, however, in that case I am not to concerned with the "interface/operation experience". Lets say that on your personal computer the access would be like accessing mapped network drives without any additional login (other than an one-time then remember type setup), but from other locations it would be more like a FTP/web interface with logon thing. A local copy of the personal data would possibly be OK on the users personal computer, but would not be feasible when it comes to the common storage due to the size.

I should not think that there would be a need to access the network remotely for other things than file-sharing. With regards to VPN I have little experience on how to set this up, the effects on the local network where the server is places or how it would dictate the ease-of-access to the file server from the outside.

@danb35 Thanks for the HW tips. I'll look into them! :)

SeaWolfX

Explorer
Thanks for your input guys! With regards to the common files; yes, they would need remote access in order to upload new media files to the server (and also to retrieve files for other usage than streaming). In general I am looking for a "file operation solution" that creates the least hassle to use. I.e. the closer to the "files / folder operation on your own computer" experience the better. Another point I forgot to mention in the OP is that is should also be possible to access personal files on other computers/locations than the one you would typically use, however, in that case I am not to concerned with the "interface/operation experience". Lets say that on your personal computer the access would be like accessing mapped network drives without any additional login (other than an one-time then remember type setup), but from other locations it would be more like a FTP/web interface with logon thing. A local copy of the personal data would possibly be OK on the users personal computer, but would not be feasible when it comes to the common storage due to the size.

I should not think that there would be a need to access the network remotely for other things than file-sharing. With regards to VPN I have little experience on how to set this up, the effects on the local network where the server is places or how it would dictate the ease-of-access to the file server from the outside.

@danb35 Thanks for the HW tips. I'll look into them! :)

Could still use some more input here. Is VPN the solution or could it be achieved some other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.