First FreeNAS - Hardware Feedback (Outdated? / Overkill? / Compatibility)

SeaWolfX

Explorer
Hi guys,

I posted something similar a couple of years ago, however I run into some money trouble and wasn't able to afford a new server at the time. I have some money set aside now and want to try again, but I am not sure the hardware I found at the time still holds up or if I should go for something newer so I do not end up with outdated HW in just a couple of years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some requirements for the server and although I have read up on some stuff I would like to check with you guys here if everything is feasible with FreeNAS and get any comments/feedback you might have. I would also like your input on hardware selection. I typically overkill and would really appreciate any input you might have so that I do not overspend on unnecessary specs. E.g. memory type / how much, do I need read/write cache, motherboard etc.?

It is going to be a family server primarily used for media streaming and as a file server. There will be a common storage space (min. 10 TB, with option for future expansion) for media (movies, music, pictures, books, etc.) as well as personal storage spaces (min. 100 GB) for each member. The server will be located at a location with internet speed 500/500. Both common and personal directories should be able to be mapped as "network drives" on the users personal computers outside the server local network, so that file handling can be done as if the user was operating on folders on the local computer (what solutions are available for this?).

Main objectives:
- Media Server (streaming HD movies and music) via Plex
- VM
- File Server
- Data Integrity & Backup

Number of users:
Total: 8
Max simultaneous access: 3-4 (e.g. streaming movies / transferring files)

Hardware:
I based my suggestions below on the FreeNAS recommendations and it will probably set me back around $2200 which is bit more than I was aiming for. So If you have some suggestions on what I might cut back on I would really appreciate it. Keep in mind that I would like the setup to be a bit flexible with regards to future expansions / upgrades. Cabinet and PSU i have from before.

Motherboard
Supermicro X11SSH-F

Processor
Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 3,5GHz Socket 1151 Tray

Memory
Crucial DDR4 2400MHz ECC 2x16GB (CT2K16G4WFD824A)

Harddrives
4 x WD Red WD60EFRX 64MB 6TB
1 x Samsung SSD 256 GB

UPS
APC Back-UPS Pro BR900GI
(for safe shutdown on power-loss)

- Media Server (streaming HD movies and music) via Plex
Do you plan on doing any transcoding? Whether you do or not will drive your cpu requirements
- Data Integrity & Backup
This is a great use for a Freenas appliance. Do be sure that you manage your data safely and keep backups of your data. If there exists only 1 copy of any important data it is more vulnerable to loss, even if in a redundant zfs vdev.

Both common and personal directories should be able to be mapped as "network drives" on the users personal computers outside the server local network, so that file handling can be done as if the user was operating on folders on the local computer
Can you clarify this a little? Do you mean folks will be accessing the system outside of your home network? Specifically what do you mean by outside the server local network?

Sasquatch

Explorer
Be careful, CMR reds in 1-6TB range are becoming hard to find, and sellers willy-nilly substitute them for SMR ones (WDxxEFAX) which are unsuitable for ZFS.
Either go for IronWolf, get bigger REDs, or wait for WD Red Plus(just anounced).

For mapping samba shares in remote locations only safe solution is to use VPN.

You can cut budget quite a bit by going AMD.
Ryzen 5 2600 will wipe the floor with that xeon(plex transcoding) and costs less than a half.
Further cost cutting can be done on motherboard, all asrock AM4 consumer boards support ECC.
Or buy asrock x470d4u - server grade AM4 mobo but the same price as supermicro you picked.

price checking website ;)

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
from the Super Poor White Trash financial perspective ... read my sig :smile:

I have about 25'ish friends and family that I share my Plex with .. I'll have up to 8 at a time watching stuff. Ram/CPU/Memory under $200'ish.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Explorer
from the Super Poor White Trash financial perspective ... read my sig :smile:

I have about 25'ish friends and family that I share my Plex with .. I'll have up to 8 at a time watching stuff. Ram/CPU/Memory under $200'ish.
Where can I get 64gig of DDR4 ECC for less than $100 ???? or did your signature change since.

ThreeDee

Guru
Where can I get 64gig of DDR4 ECC for less than $100 ???? or did your signature change since.
yeah, I've upgraded since then .. that was an LGA2011 setup with DDR3 ECC RDIMM's