First FreeNAS Build - Feedback Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

dak180

Patron
Not only will this be my first FreeNAS build but also my first build of any computer from the ground up, so any tips are welcome.

The two main roles for the server is a Plex media server (3 streams max, unlikely to be more than one transcode) and the backup location for the other computers (most likely via NFS) in the house. In addition to that I would like to set up a vpn server (to have access to network resources while away from home), and eventually migrate my web and email server roles to it as well (very small scale, personal use only).

The component list is as follows:
As the server gets more use I will likely add more ram.

The plan is to use the SSDs in a mirror for the jails and the reds in z3 (I fully realize that my paranoia is driving here) for main storage. Since this will be my first full build of any sort, I would be particularly interested in feedback on the power supply and UPS since I am not entirely sure I have taken everything into account (peak power, shutdown times, etc.). Also anything that might be obvious to an experienced builder that I may not have considered.

Edited to reflect actual purchases.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I think that model CPU comes with an Intel cooler which should be adequate for the heat it will produce. You might save a buck by skipping the Cryorig. Not a big thing and you might find the Intel cooler to be a little noisy. It won't impact function.
I agree with @m0nkey_ that the SuperMicro server board is a better choice. Do validate all the other components to be sure they work with the the SuperMicro X11-SSM.

PS. It looks like you did your homework.

dak180

Patron
I think that model CPU comes with an Intel cooler which should be adequate for the heat it will produce. You might save a buck by skipping the Cryorig. Not a big thing and you might find the Intel cooler to be a little noisy. It won't impact function.
One of the goals is to be reasonably silent since it will be in a frequently used space.

I agree with @m0nkey_ that the SuperMicro server board is a better choice. Do validate all the other components to be sure they work with the the SuperMicro X11-SSM.
From what I have seen cpu, ram and hba should all work fine with both boards; the reason I would prefer the asrock board is that it would mean I could also use it as an airplay receiver.

PS. It looks like you did your homework.
Thanks ☺

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
the reason I would prefer the asrock board is that it would mean I could also use it as an airplay receiver.
how are you going to use the FreeNAS server as an airplay receiver?

dak180

Patron

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I figured that I would use something along the lines of shairport-sync.
I guess I didn't word that question well.
What is it about the Asrock board that makes you think it will be able to do that? The built in audio ports?
I wouldn't expect them to work at all.
I could be wrong on this, but it is my understanding that FreeNAS has does not have any drivers for audio as it is designed to be a server, not a desktop.
Perhaps a iXsystems rep like @wblock might comment on this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm pretty sure FreeNAS doesn't ship with audio drivers. Maybe for the PC speaker, but unless you're really into the crappy version of early PC gaming sound, I don't think that'd be of much use.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I figured that I would use something along the lines of shairport-sync.
FreeNAS is an appliance, so building and installing that on it will probably be challenging. For one thing, there is no C compiler in a standard FreeNAS install. And it should be pointed out that many things are written with zero portability, meant for Linux with the assumption that it is the only thing in the world. Of course, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, which is definitely not Linux. If none of this puts you off, we have a SDK version of FreeNAS which includes build and development tools.

I'd recommend the Supermicro board and stock Intel CPU fan also. I have mixed feelings about the Cyberpower UPS systems, mostly based on their plastic construction. As long as they are treated carefully in transport, they are probably fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have mixed feelings about the Cyberpower UPS systems, mostly based on their plastic construction.
Now that you mention it, some reviews of low-end Cyberpower UPSes showed what looked like a construction that's just a tad on the too flimsy side for comfort.

dak180

Patron
FreeNAS is an appliance, so building and installing that on it will probably be challenging. For one thing, there is no C compiler in a standard FreeNAS install. And it should be pointed out that many things are written with zero portability, meant for Linux with the assumption that it is the only thing in the world. Of course, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, which is definitely not Linux. If none of this puts you off, we have a SDK version of FreeNAS which includes build and development tools.
I think I would prefer having the SDK version in any case, as someone who does dev / build engineering tasks, not being able to build stuff at least in the jails is more likely to put me off ☺.

I'd recommend the Supermicro board and stock Intel CPU fan also. I have mixed feelings about the Cyberpower UPS systems, mostly based on their plastic construction. As long as they are treated carefully in transport, they are probably fine.
As I cannot find the C236M anywhere it seems unlikely I will be going that route, though I think I might go for ASRock - E3C236D4U Micro ATX instead of the Supermicro board based some of the things I have been reading about the fan controls for the X11SSM-F even though the E3C236D4U is a bit more money.

Besides the plastic casing do you have any other reservations about Cyberpower UPS systems?

Also, as far a sizing goes, both for the UPS and the power supply do they seem adequate to the build?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think I might go for ASRock - E3C236D4U Micro ATX instead of the Supermicro board based some of the things I have been reading about the fan controls for the X11SSM-F even though the E3C236D4U is a bit more money.
ASRock is going to have the exact same "problems" and limitations, so don't expect it to be a significant difference.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Besides the plastic casing do you have any other reservations about Cyberpower UPS systems?
I don't know how good they are technically, never had one. Just seen a few at recycling places with the plastic housing or battery mount shattered from inertia.

Looking at the list, I'd avoid going with a SATA to Molex splitter, instead using the direct Molex cables from the power supply. Too many melted SATA connectors have been shown here.

I can't really advise on the power supply and UPS sizing, have not looked at that lately. There are resources here for sizing both, though.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

dak180

Patron
So, I finally got all the parts (a few changes on that, I edited my first post to reflect that) and I am starting to put things together and get setup for burn in testing. I have been taking pictures and will put together a build log at some point.

However, I have run into an issue though with reflashing the HBA card and am hoping someone here might have some ideas; when I run the MegaCli utility (downloaded from a post linked from the guide on this fourm) it just hangs even when just asking the version, and it did not do that when run before the HBA card was put in.

CapturedScreen.jpeg

dak180

Patron
I eventually got things working; for some reason it did not want to work unless FreeDOS was booted in safe mode.

I am now moving on to MemTest86; (Vers. 7.4) any thoughts on a sufficient number of passes?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please ask new questions in a new thread. People familiar with memtest might skip over a thread titled "FreeNAS first build" but would be more likely to read a thread called "Using MemTest86".

Status
Not open for further replies.