M1015 to IT Mode again and again

FabianX2

Dabbler
Hey there,

right away: I know there are already plenty of Posts reguarding this topic. I my self did allready flash a similar contoller for my last TrueNas build but now I am totaly stuck.

Short: I do get the classic "No LSI SAS adapters found!" if I try to use any sas2flsh commands in the uefi shell. Did try P05,07,15,19). If I boot DOS in legathy mode the card is recodnised and I can use the Megrec comands. Erasing works that way - falshing not. I´m quit shure but not fully confindent to have the sytax right. I did try s.th, like Megarec -m0flash 0 2118it.bin and Megarec -cleanflash 0 2118it.bin. It erases succsesflully but fails on flashing. Cant use the sas2flsh commands on DOS as I do get the "ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program." error.

Even after performing the megarec clenaing prozesses successfully I still get "No LSI SAS adapters found!" in the Uefi shell with sas2flsh.

Tried it all with the Asrock Rack and a MSI X570 Tomahawk. If I use the build in Shell on the Asrock I get "InitShellApp: Application not started from Shell" isted of "No LSI SAS adapters found!" if I boot an uefi shell from a stick.

Any help is appriciated. Thx in advance.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Cant use the sas2flsh commands on DOS as I do get the "ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program." error.

Even after performing the megarec clenaing prozesses successfully I still get "No LSI SAS adapters found!" in the Uefi shell with sas2flsh.

Having crossflashed many dozens of batches of cards over the years, I will tell you that the toolset is fragile and simply doesn't work on all boards. The UEFI tools are more likely to work on modern boards. The DOS tools are more likely to work on older boards. If you have a board maybe older than oh 2015, and you get the PAL error, try crossflashing on a different system. The DOS tools *do* work if you find a board they like. Which sounds like a stupid obvious thing to say, but my fallback for crossflash is a particular 2013 AsRockRack board or a particular Dell R210-ii chassis. Never seen a case where I couldn't do crossflashes with at least one of those.

Do not expect that you can make it work on any random PC. Experience says that's not realistic.

Whattteva

Wizard
This is why a lot of people opt to get the cards from the ebay seller "The Art of Server". He charges more than everyone else, but he guarantees the cards are genuine and you don't have to deal with the flashing headaches and they come pre-tested to work. For some, that's worth the extra price.

FabianX2

Dabbler
Thanks, yesterday I finally did it. The trick was an old Coputer without uefi unsing dos.

The flash was succesful (if the prompt does not lie :D) I guess but I cant be shure. The data prompt of sas2flash is missing the in brackets information so there is no (it) or any other infomation beside the nummeric one bevor that. How can I be shure the controller is in IT mode?