LSI 9400 16i - Too good to be true ???

kherr

Explorer
I'm looking at this to eliminate multiple HBA cards. The other one I bought (9305 I think) was basically $600.
Worthy of buying ??? Or stay away ???

As always , TIA - Kevin

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would be guessing there aren't a lot of hours of production proving on that card or its drivers just yet... if you want to be part of the folks forging the way forward (and maybe falling into some difficulty along the way) that's probably going to be fine over time, so perhaps worth the bet... but you can get the previous generation (with known working firmware and drivers) for a lot less money.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The drivers are the biggest catch at the moment, they may or may not be working well yet.
That said, this sort of thing isn't unusual. Back when SAS3 was still new, I almost pulled the trigger on a lot of three 24-port SAS3 expanders for I think it was 500 bucks (total).

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The card itself seems okay to run in SAS/SATA mode based on reports here:

But buying from a random eBay seller in China will likely get you a fake or third-shift clone with no QA or actual support after the sale.

kherr

Explorer
The cheaper ones (and used) all tend to be full height .... I need low profile.

Didn't catch it was from China ... I just looked at their rating. Nix those sellers .....

New ones from NE are nearly $500 ... might as well go with the 9305 (???) again.

Decisions .... Decisions ..... ???????

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also look for the SAS 9201-16i. Early SAS2, but it's still going to be plenty good for spinning rust.

kherr

Explorer
I was wanting PCI 3 just so down the road it will always be more relevant ....... but then again if PCI 2 would suffice .... easier on the pocketbook. My backup target costs are starting to spiral out of control ... :frown::frown:

Thanks ALL ..... Kevin

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If the disks can't keep up, it's ultimately irrelevant.