Status
Not open for further replies.

fenix793

Cadet
Pulled the trigger on my build:

Supermicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O
Intel i3-4130T
Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W
Kingston 8GB DDR3 ECC 1600 x2 (KVR16E11/8, would've gotten the kit for a little less but it sold out as I was putting my order together)
Seagate 3TB NAS drive x2

Total for system was $543 from Newegg.
Total for drives was $240 from Amazon.

Still need to get a case. I think I'll be going with the Seasonic GD06B.

fenix793

Cadet
They are the NAS version. The other day Amazon had a Lightning Deal where they were discounted to $120. This happens pretty regularly for both the Seagate and WD NAS drives at Amazon and Newegg. Additionally there is a Newegg Business promo for $50 off $500. I was able to use that for the system parts so actual system cost was $493.

Definitely check Slickdeals for deals when you finalize your build. Saved about $100 on this build :smile:

Yatti420

Wizard
I would love to see how the consumer NAS drives stack against consumer desktop speedwise.. Both Seagate and WD have gone to 5900rpm for their consumer NAS lines.. Kind of disappointed here.. If they hold up and perform the same I'd be very surprised..

Dusan

Guru
Both Seagate and WD have gone to 5900rpm for their consumer NAS lines.. Kind of disappointed here..
WD RED is 5400RPM, Seagate NAS is 5900RPM. However, I do not care about the RPM. If you use RAIDZ (or striping) you will be able to saturate a 1Gbit ethernet link easily (that is, if your CPU can handle it).
Basic scenario; gigabit ethernet + 4 drive RAIDZ:
1 Gbit/s = 125 MB/s (that's the theoretical maximum throughput you can get over gigabit ethernet, it's lower in reality)
To store 125MB of data, 4 drive RAIDZ1 will actually write ~167MB of data (the extra 1/3 is for parity).
Those 167MB are spread over 4 drives, so each drive only writes ~42MB of data.
A 5400RPM drive can easily handle 42MB/s.
High RPM in an array only makes sense if you need high IOPS/decrease latency. Therefore, for home/small business use I prefer "low RPM" drives with their lower power consumption (= less heat).

panz

Guru
I'm answering to this thread with my usual "4 months later delay" :p

The system in my signature (it hasn't ECC but CPU is AES-NI) draws 62 Watts, measured with RCE PM500 http://www.check-energy.com/

fenix793

Cadet
Hi Fenix,

what about power consumption ?

Hey I'm not sure exactly how much power it consumes I never got a meter. It should be fairly low as the CPU is a low power model. Also the PSU is the lowest wattage 80+ Gold model so it should be pretty efficient.

Yatti420

Wizard
I can hook all my network gear up with the NAS and pull less then 100W.. 45-50mins expected runtime with a CP850PFCLCD.. I get 1-2 minutes more with powerd enabled ( I keep disabled due to performance issues though)

panz

Guru
I can't delete my old post: it's referring to my previous system. Now the setup with Xeon 1230 V2 + Supermicro X9SCM-F + M1015 + Intel RES2SV Expander card + Corsair HX650 Gold draws only 42 Watts :cool:

One follow-up question. You said:

The links to the Intel ARK that I posted for both CPUs (http://ark.intel.com/products/65694/Intel-Core-i3-3220T-Processor-3M-Cache-2_80-GHz and http://ark.intel.com/products/77481/Intel-Core-i3-4130T-Processor-3M-Cache-2_90-GHz) expressly state that ECC is supported.

Following up on an old comment (doing research on a i3-3210 I purchased). It looks like Intel has revised their ARK for the i3-3xxx series and these chips are no longer listed as supporting ECC. The 4th generation do still list ECC.

I've been in touch with Intel service and they insist the 3rd gen Core i3 chips do not support ECC — they acknowledge the confusion and have issued a warranty RMA so I can return my i3 for refund credit. I'm still not entirely convinced and suspect that the 3rd generation does support ECC with a 202/204/206 chipset but Intel now says they don't.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Following up on an old comment (doing research on a i3-3210 I purchased). It looks like Intel has revised their ARK for the i3-3xxx series and these chips are no longer listed as supporting ECC. The 4th generation do still list ECC.

I've been in touch with Intel service and they insist the 3rd gen Core i3 chips do not support ECC — they acknowledge the confusion and have issued a warranty RMA so I can return my i3 for refund credit. I'm still not entirely convinced and suspect that the 3rd generation does support ECC with a 202/204/206 chipset but Intel now says they don't.

We've been having this discussion lately. Bottom line is that nobody seems to have a clue what's really going on.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

The only thing I feel convinced about with this whole ECC thing is that Xeons and server chipsets support ECC. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.