BUILD FreeNAS + bhyve (final build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acoustician

Dabbler
Usage
  • Server for me(bhyve[maybe php+mysql or smth like this]), NAS for family(4 members).
  • Plex(2 threads simultaneously maximum) + SMB + transmission/rtorrent(seedbox) + backups.
Build
Question:
1. What do you think of my build?
2. What kind of CPU do I really need?

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Got your message, however I am not a SuperMicro user. While I could fancy up a suggested CPU; I will gladly defer to those who are more of an expert on SuperMicro Boards. With that said, I will tag @Ericloewe , @Bidule0hm and @BigDave and let their expertise guide you. ;)

*** Not trying to forget/exclude anyone else so don't nobody go getting all huffy at me... :P

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Got your message, however I am not a SuperMicro user. While I could fancy up a suggested CPU; I will gladly defer to those who are more of an expert on SuperMicro Boards. With that said, I will tag @Ericloewe , @Bidule0hm and @BigDave and let their expertise guide you. ;)

*** Not trying to forget/exclude anyone else so don't nobody go getting all huffy at me... :p

*Huff*.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1. What do you think of my build?
It's fine.

2. What kind of CPU do I really need?
Do you need to transcode? If not, the Pentiums are fine.

If you do, the i3 gives you enough horsepower to probably not have to worry about it.

Consider an X11SSM-F. It's cheaper and more flexible. You lose the M.2 slot, but you have more PCI-e bandwidth available overall (and one more slot, instead of the M.2 slot).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Will i ever need an SSD for cache
Probably not.

If it ends up being the case and you want to spend money on a PCI-e SSD, just get an M.2 adapter, or a U.2 adapter or simply a PCI card form factor SSD.

May be only 1(of 2) thread for transcoding at the same time.
Then the i3 is a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.