BUILD Home file server - low power - moderate cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott55

Dabbler
This build is for a home NAS system that will be used for general file sharing for a few Windows and Linux machines. Possible video streaming, but no (or little) transcoding. I plan to move all the home directories to the NAS so I can access any file form any machine. Initially my backup strategy will be to backup important files to the local machines, with a view to backing up off site later.

Planning to run Raid Z2.
  • Supermicro X9SCL-F-O motherboard
  • 1 x Intel Core i3 3220T 35W CPU
  • 2x Crucial 8GB 240-pin DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered SDRAM (PC 12800)
  • 6x Western Digital Red 2TB NAS hard drives WD20EFRX (already owned)
  • 1 x SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply
  • Antek 300 Mid tower case
  • 3 x 8Gb Lexar USB sticks for boot/backup drives (already owned)
I would appreciate any feedback. Open to any suggestions (except the drives). In particular I am not too sure that the memory will be compatable with the board. I can find the compatable memory modules on the Supermicro site, but it is not alway easy to see if a particular product uses those modules.

I am aware that the case does not allow for expansion, but I can't see running out of room soon. I have built with the case before and like it. If I have to I will swap the case later. It seems a reasonable piece of gear to economize on.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Excellent. Looks good. The i3-3220T is a reasonable compromise on price and performance, and is well overpowered for your use case. I vote for: proceed.

scott55

Dabbler
Thanks. Is there a more economical CPU that would do the job?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Personally,

You might go to the Supermicro X10SLM+-F motherboard, which is kind of our go-to Haswell board (thus, more up to date than the X9 series) that we recommend for new home builds. Price should be similar to your current motherboard selection. Then, you can get one of the uber-friggin-sweet $50-$75 CPU that intel is selling, that SUPPORT ECC RAM(!!!!) like the G3220 (or its newer higher clocked versions, like the G3240).

I use the G3220, in a configuration and use case almost exactly as you describe, and the CPU is never above like 5 or 10% usage except when I am building software. It's hard to believe a $50-$75 CPU is more than enough, but believe me, it is. ***IF*** you're not doing a lot of transcoding, and you're not doing pool encryption (the G3220 and its relatives do not have hardware AES).

So, if you want an economical CPU, I promise you that the Intel G3220 (and similar ilk---but be warned, you probably need to update the motherboard BIOS if you go with the newer model CPUs) will be plenty.

scott55

Dabbler
The P280 looks pretty good. The NAS will be in the basement so noise will not be an issue, but I do like the idea of silicone mounts for the drives so I will be looking for a way to do that whatever case I use.

scott55

Dabbler
Pulled the pin on this today. Still need a case which I hope to pick up locally. all prices are in Canadian dollars which are a bit less than USD at the moment.
The x10 was a little more money than the X9 but I was able to get the 3240 for less than the 3220 an a lot less than an i3 so overall I hope to be future proofed for moderate cost.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think you'll be very happy with that, sir.

WORD TO THE WISE!!!! The G3240 is a newer CPU. There is a very good chance you'll need to update that motherboard BIOS before it properly recognizes it!!!!

scott55

Dabbler
Thanks for your advice! I hope to be up to the challenge of a BIOS upgrade!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Could be a challenge. There's a bit of a catch-22 scenario---you need a recognized CPU in order to do a BIOS update. But you need a BIOS update in order to do a newer model CPU.

You might have to borrow one. I apologize for not advising you of this potential hazard with the new model CPU in advance.

scott55

Dabbler
Any chance of loading a new bios from a USB stick?

Otherwise I there is a fairly dodgy shop where I might "borrow" a compatible CPU for a modest fee. Maybe the board will come with a later BIOS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No, no chance. You need to POST the motherboard, and you can't POST it without a valid CPU. You can borrow any kind of Haswell i3, Pentium, Celeron, or Xeon. I had this problem actually last week with a 3240, but that was a desktop motherboard, not a server motherboard. I will be interested to know what your resolution is.

It is possible you'll be fine and the motherboard will ship with the most up-to-date BIOS, but knowing SuperMicro, and knowing the timetables here, I'm thinking your odds are below 50%. You'll want to borrow a 3220 if you can.

Go to the Supermicro site now, and download the BIOS, and do your research. They're also actually pretty helpful on the phone if it comes to that.

scott55

Dabbler
I will wait for the parts to come in and see where we stand

Knowltey

Patron
No, no chance. You need to POST the motherboard, and you can't POST it without a valid CPU. You can borrow any kind of Haswell i3, Pentium, Celeron, or Xeon. I had this problem actually last week with a 3240, but that was a desktop motherboard, not a server motherboard. I will be interested to know what your resolution is.

It is possible you'll be fine and the motherboard will ship with the most up-to-date BIOS, but knowing SuperMicro, and knowing the timetables here, I'm thinking your odds are below 50%. You'll want to borrow a 3220 if you can.

Go to the Supermicro site now, and download the BIOS, and do your research. They're also actually pretty helpful on the phone if it comes to that.

So on the note of the too new CPU issue that I've read about with various SuperMicro and CPU mixes. Would a G3220 or G3420 run the risk of being too new for an X10SLL+-F-O?

scott55

Dabbler
I managed to cancel my order for the G3240 processor and ordered a G3220 instead, so I think I am back on track

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Eh, I would have gotten the G3240. Each day that goes by significantly lowers your chance of having a problem with the newer CPU. Only stores keeping old inventory around they are trying to get out the door will eventually have this problem.

Knowltey

Patron
Eh, I would have gotten the G3240. Each day that goes by significantly lowers your chance of having a problem with the newer CPU. Only stores keeping old inventory around they are trying to get out the door will eventually have this problem.

I too would prefer a 3240 of course, but having hardware that I can't use -IS- "having a problem" by definition.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, the BIOS came out 3 months ago. So unless the product you are buying has been sitting on a shelf more than 3 months, the chance of that being even a problem is very slim.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You guys are crazy. There is no way that with a FreeNAS, he will notice the slightest difference between a 3240 and a 3220.

Status
Not open for further replies.