Looking for some UPS info

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepster

Cadet
I'm building my first NAS, I've spend a few days reading as much as I can on this site. I think I got most of my build together but I didn't see one key piece of info in the "So you want some hardware suggestions." I didn't see anything mentioned on the importance of a UPS. I found that elsewhere on this site, but lacking info there. I've never owned one and well I'm confused what is compatible with a SeaSonic SSR-360GP. What has me stumped is the different swine waves in the APC BR and the cyberpower units. I don't want to spend a little under $200 and find its not compatible with the PSU or with Freenas since most online retailers don't want to accept returns.
What are you guys running that works with the 360GP?

My build is for home use with 4 users on windows 7 ultimate, all 4 will be storing wmc tv recordings, pictures etc. My components so are
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Amd FX4300
Kingston DDR3 1333 KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G (2 x 4GB)
2 Intel nics EXPI9301CTBLK (overkill?)
SeaSonic SSR-360GP
Fractal Design Arc Mini
As for the drives, I haven't spent enough days researching those yet.... or configuration.

This project all started with needing more storage so I picked up a seagate 4tb usb3 external the other day for $125, I stuck it in the routers usb port and well 2mb/sec wasn't going to cut it. I figured I'd take on a project and learn something new. I was able to remove the drive from the case without being a butcher, the drive is a ST4000DM000 I'm not sure if I should mix and match drives, stick with those or what. suggestion??

Oh btw
The spambot question when joining this site, I would not have known what NAS stood for 3 days ago LOL, take it easy on me.

Thanks for your time and input

Idk about UPS but I can tell about something else:

Go for an Intel platform, one that supports ECC memory. If you're curious why, look at the ZFS and ECC RAM thread.
Also, AMDs are not so energy efficient.
You don't need to go Xeon for ECC, the Celerons and Core i3s also support it. But the board and especially the RAM will be more expensive than with non-ECC

malcolmputer

Explorer
Go for an Intel platform, one that supports ECC memory.

I agree about ECC. You need it. Trust me. You don't think you do now, but if you love your data, you will need it later.

As far as the AMD/Intel bit. You can find AMD CPUs that support ECC, I have two of them up and running with 16GB's of unbuffered ECC right now. Intel will probably be easier to get going since others on the forum are more familiar with them, but AMD is possible. If you want to know what I am running see here.

I would love some data on this, but my AMD Athlon II X2 240 is only a 45W processor, so I can't imagine the comparable intel's being too much lower power.

jeepster

Cadet
Idk about UPS but I can tell about something else:

Go for an Intel platform, one that supports ECC memory. If you're curious why, look at the ZFS and ECC RAM thread.
You don't need to go Xeon for ECC, the Celerons and Core i3s also support it. But the board and especially the RAM will be more expensive than with non-ECC

I already purchased the parts above, the motherboard for being consumer grade, does support ECC memory, after the cashback and rebates it was hard to say no to a $44 mobo. As for the memory, the sticks are ECC. As for AMD's not being energy efficient, true however from what I read the CPU doesn't do much work in a file server, the CPU will probably be idling more than anything else, I pretty sure the 4-6 hdds will be consuming the majority of energy.

Now that I'm well rested, I'll dig further into the UPS concerns. thanks though for taking the time to respond!

Sir.Robin

Guru

jeepster

Cadet
I wen't down under 10watts moving from my AMD FX-4100 mobo/CPU to the X10SL7/E3-1220v3. I waere hoping for more...

Ordered this UPS myself:
http://eu.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups_systems/pfc-sinewave/cp900epfclcd.htm

And then well see if i will recommend it :)

10 watts at my current electric rate would be around 1.12/month. I think I can handle that if not I'll shorten the on time of the 3k watt halogen bulbs on the salt water tanks :)

Please update how that cyberpower unit works. Oh yeah while I was using google to search this site for days on end, your sig always appeared in the searches, which athlonII x2 chip are you using, 270? u or e series? I assume it works fine? Thanks for chiming in!

Sir.Robin

Guru
You're welcome! :)

It's an AMD Athlon II X2 250. Runs cool and has power enough for my secondary NAS. I even downclocked it a bit but main heatsource is the 7200rpm drives.

I'll give you an update when i have the Cyberpower in place. Probably won't be until next week... not sent yet.

George51

Contributor
You're welcome! :)

It's an AMD Athlon II X2 250. Runs cool and has power enough for my secondary NAS. I even downclocked it a bit but main heatsource is the 7200rpm drives.

I'll give you an update when i have the Cyberpower in place. Probably won't be until next week... not sent yet.

I am looking at getting the CP1300EPFCLCD or the CP900EPFCLCD - Do you have that update? Is it any good/can you hear it? Worth the money? Cheers

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yes! It is silent when running off power. A fan spins up when on battery.
Got a nice LCD panel to show stuff like load and power usage. It blanks out after a couple of seconds wich is nice.

Using it with PowerPanel Business Edition (a VM) wich shuts down my ESXi host gracegully when power goes out.
Not 100% compatible with all the functions but it does shut down, so i'm pretty happy with it. :)

Attachments

• cyberpower.JPG
    cyberpower.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 214
Status
Not open for further replies.