BUILD Supermicro X10SLH-F Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NannerMuffin

Dabbler
Good Evening Community,

First of all, a big thanks to this community. Wow! What a breadth of knowledge! Honestly, just lurking for the past few weeks has been immensely helpful. Now its time to get active.

After several weeks of slowly researching my options for a new build, I've finally settled on a solution. I originally planned a low, low budget AMD based build with the latest generation spare parts I had on-hand (hold the comments...), but as previously stated, after weeks of research decided to move in a different direction.

Here are the specs. How did I do?

MotherBoard: Supermicro X10SLH-F
CPU: Intel Core i3-4370
RAM: 2x 8GB Samsung 1600 MHz ECC M391B1G73QH0-YK0 (Supermicro X10SLH-F Certified)
HDD: 6x 3TB WD Reds WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
PSU: Seasonic SSR-360GP
UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

I just purchased 5 drives from Newegg (max of 5 per customer limit) and the 6th drive from Micro Center. Upon further inspection, it seems there are two different WD Red 3TB models (both are non-pro versions & the same applies for other drive capacities).

Bare OEM Drive: WD30EFRX (NAS Storage for 1 - 8 Bays)
Retail Packaging: WDBMMA0030HNCNR (NAS Storage for 1 - 5 Bays)

Is there an actual difference between these drives other than OEM vs retail packaging? I haven't opened the packaging yet, and I would prefer to have the same model of drives in my pool.

I am just waiting for the RAM and remaining drives to arrive. Staring at these build parts is driving me crazy! I'll certainly update when the build is online.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I wouldn't worry about the drives. The new ones are qualified for up to 8 and the old marketing said 5. I also wouldn't worry about those numbers. People put more than that in pools all the time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
HNCNR? That sounds like a major model number change. I thought they were still at EZRX.

In any case, don't worry - at least you're getting different batches, which is always good.

NannerMuffin

Dabbler

Yep.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._35_Internal_Hard_Drive_(NAS)_WDBMMA0030HNCNR

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...ternal_Hard_Drive_(NAS)_WD30EFRX_-_Bare_Drive

The product images show the retail packed drive WDBMMA0030HNCNR as a "base" WD30EZRX, but I have learned the hard way to never trust online product images.

I'll be returning the WDBMMA0030HNCNR for a WD30EZRX. My OCD will simply not allow for any deviation from symmetry. Crazy, I know. :)

NannerMuffin

Dabbler
*UPDATE*

Received all the parts for my build.

The i3-44370 was fully supported on the X10SLH-F with BIOS version 2.0. 24 hours of various CPU burn-in tools was error free.

The Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 memory passed over 36 hours of MEMTEST86 & MEMTEST86+. Both single-threaded and mufti-threaded tests.

All the WD Reds (WD30EFRX-68EUZN0) passed both short and long S.M.A.R.T tests. WDIDLE3 reported all drives shipped with a default Idle3 timer of 300 seconds.

The system is finally in it's network closet home running another long S.M.A.R.T test to be safe. The only item left is read and write tests on the drives, right?

Big thanks to jgreco and cyberjock for the various guides! This is shaping up to be a solid first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.