Interpreting Badblocks Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's just SO freakin' weird. That drive must be really f'ed up!

NannerMuffin

Dabbler
Yeah....crazy. It could have been another poorly seated cable, unlikely, but I wasn't willing to risk it. Glad I decided to RMA. I'll rest easy knowing all the disks are healthy.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
Just throwing this out there, you dont have a pool on those disks yet correct?
I had the same issue you did and found out that it was the .system writing to the disks behind my back. I destroyed the pool and reran badblocks and the compare errors totally went away.
Will having a pool on drives really screw up badblocks? I read in the guide "make sure you don't have a pool on the drives" but I thought that was because it would destroy your saved data. 3 of my 16 drives have between 400-500 errors during the second badblocks pass. I had a test pool setup on 3 drives that I did not destroy prior to running badblocks. I thought about the pool maybe causing problems after I saw the errors, but my pool was on da0-2 and the errors are on da8-10. However, I did change some hardware, so I bet the pool is no longer on da0-2. I know what I'm doing tonight when I get home...

nick779

Contributor
Will having a pool on drives really screw up badblocks? I read in the guide "make sure you don't have a pool on the drives" but I thought that was because it would destroy your saved data. 3 of my 16 drives have between 400-500 errors during the second badblocks pass. I had a test pool setup on 3 drives that I did not destroy prior to running badblocks. I thought about the pool maybe causing problems after I saw the errors, but my pool was on da0-2 and the errors are on da8-10. However, I did change some hardware, so I bet the pool is no longer on da0-2. I know what I'm doing tonight when I get home...

If you have an active pool, and especially if your system dataset is located on the drive, badblocks wont be accurate because the system will write over a block that badblocks already wrote to.

Ive heard that you can do a non destructive badblocks test, but imo its not even worth doing at that point.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
If you have an active pool, and especially if your system dataset is located on the drive, badblocks wont be accurate because the system will write over a block that badblocks already wrote to.

Ive heard that you can do a non destructive badblocks test, but imo its not even worth doing at that point.
Thank you for the reply. I looked last night and all three drives with errors were indeed part of the test pool I had created. I had not saved anything on that pool and the .sys file goes to a usb drive for now. I find it very unlikely that I have 3 bad drives, that I just happened to randomly choose to put in a 3 drive pool. So obviously, freenas still saves something to the pool. I destroyed the pool last night and I'm going to restart the badblocks test tonight. Sucks that I wasted 5 days on the test though.

nick779

Contributor
Thank you for the reply. I looked last night and all three drives with errors were indeed part of the test pool I had created. I had not saved anything on that pool and the .sys file goes to a usb drive for now. I find it very unlikely that I have 3 bad drives, that I just happened to randomly choose to put in a 3 drive pool. So obviously, freenas still saves something to the pool. I destroyed the pool last night and I'm going to restart the badblocks test tonight. Sucks that I wasted 5 days on the test though.

Jesus 5 days? a badblocks test should only take around a day or two for even the biggest of drives.

Use Tmux and run the tests simultaneously.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I did tmux, but I'm running them on sixteen 4TB drives at once. I only have a 4core xeon D cpu, if that makes a difference. When I started the first test, my estimate was 3 days, but once all the tests were running, it seemed to slow down. Do you think something is wrong?

nick779

Contributor
I did tmux, but I'm running them on sixteen 4TB drives at once. I only have a 4core xeon D cpu, if that makes a difference. When I started the first test, my estimate was 3 days, but once all the tests were running, it seemed to slow down. Do you think something is wrong?

Nevermind, I thought I read you were using 3 drives :P

Status
Not open for further replies.