Looking for input on first dedicated build

Status
Not open for further replies.

callalawyer

Cadet
Hello all! This is my first time posting on the FreeNAS forums. I've been a lurker for a while now, checking out other peoples builds, reading the stickied posts from the very knowledgeable community members, and just trying to take in as much as possible. I've been running FreeNAS 9.3 for a couple/three months on an older AMD rig that I am ready to replace. That's what brings me to you! I would love some feedback/input from those out there that walk the walk.

I'd like to state that the purpose for the NAS is twofold; 1. hosting VM's for 4x Dell R610's running ESXi 5.5. 2. hosting my personal media collection, which mainly consists of BluRay source content.

I happen to have been given 2x Xeon E5-2640 v2's (8-Core 2.0ghz). From the reading I've done these might be both a little bit overkill in general, but also under-perfomers when it comes to Samba (which is fine b/c I only have one Windows workstation). So keep that in mind! I am open to the possibility of selling those proc's for something better suited for the task, if it comes to that. Here's what I'm thinking for the build:

Boot : 2x SanDisk 16gb Cruzer Fit USB drives
CPU : 2x Xeon E5-2640 v2 -already own
RAM: 64GB ECC RAM (4x Cisco UCS-MR-1X162RY-A) -already own
MB : ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16
PSU : Dual 900w Supermicro PSU pws-902-1R
Case : 4U Supermicro 24 Bay SC846E1-R900B

VM OS's : 2x Intel DC 3700 400gb SSD's (Striped) -already own
VM App Storage : 5x Lenovo SATA 2 128gb SSD's (RaidZ1) -already own
Media Storage : 5x Western Digital RE 2TB drives (RaidZ1)
ZIL Drive : Kingston 128gb SSD -already own

So the things I'm most unsure about are the mobo, PSU and whether or not those CPU's will be suited for the task. As for the motherboard, that ASRock just seemed to fit the bill perfectly. It's got 4x onboard Intel NIC's that support teaming, dual proc's, IPMI w/ KVMoIP, 14x SATA ports and has good reviews. I realize that everyone here seems to have a hard on for Supermicro, but I couldn't seem to find one of their boards that fit my needs. The PSU is also almost a shot in the dark. I was having a hard time finding one that had the 2x 8-pin CPU connectors (or 8 + 4+4). I did find one other that would work, but it was $600+. So thank you for reading my post, and please, have at me :)

edited to reflect change in case & psu (10/17)

Last edited:

Fuganater

Patron
Personally I would buy the case you want now. Why spend $100-200 on a crappy case when you can double that and get a Supermicro? Stay away from Norco if you plan on filling it with 3.5 HDDs, they are hot bo

Fuganater

Patron
Personally I would buy the case you want now. Why spend $100-200 on a crappy case when you can double that and get a sweet Supermicro chassis with redundant PSU.

callalawyer

Cadet
You make a good point. Maybe I'm just impatient :) I'll start scanning eBay for deals on SM cases. I could go new, but I think for chassis it's pretty safe to get something used, provided it's in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.