BUILD Looking for input on a build

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtii

Dabbler
Hello, and thanks in advance for any input.

I set up my first FreeNAS system a couple months ago on an old machine (which meets none of the hardware recommendations). The plan was to test out FreeNAS, and if I liked it (which I really, really do), to make a custom build to run it on based on recommended hardware. I'm now looking over parts, and coming up with a couple of potential configurations to decide between. The main consideration is Motherboard/CPU(s). The rest will likely not change between configurations

The first potential configuration I'm looking at would be to just pull something straight out of Cyberjock's article here (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/) that fits the needs/budget. I have a similarly priced build, which is the one I'm looking for input on. Here's the components list:

CPU's: 2x Xeon E5-2670 - $200 for both, used
Motherboard: Asus Z9PA-D8 - $330

Other components, which will likely be the same regardless of what CPU/Motherboard configuration I end up going with:
Memory: 8x Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM for 64GB total
ZFS pool Hard Drives: either Seagate NAS or WD Red
Boot device: 2x USB or 2x SATA DOM
PSU: Raidmax RX-850AE Gold-rated 850w

I built one of these systems already (CPU/Motherboard/Memory) for a different not-freeNAS server, and have been very happy with it. I'm unsure if this will be as suitable for freeNAS. It closely matches Cyberjock's recommendations, except for being an ASUS motherboard, instead of SuperMicro.

Those processors provided insane performance for cost in my other system. I understand that's probably way over the top for what I'm looking at using freeNAS for, but compared to my other options, the expense is similar.

Any input on this idea will be very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
With respect to the motherboard: I checked the manual and it supports ECC memory, which is good!

Does FreeBSD have drivers for the board? What about the disk controller subsystem? Are you planning on using any of the various PIKE storage solutions?

Overall, the board seems okay. There probably aren't many forum members using it, so you may end up being the 'guinea pig'... I'd be concerned about drivers; you'll want to insure these are available before you buy it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PSU: Raidmax RX-850AE Bronze-rated 850w
Definitely get something better than that. Corsair RM or Seasonic G-Series should really be the lowest-quality stuff you look at.

curtii

Dabbler
Right now, I'm not intending to use PIKE.

One option I can take advantage of is that I already have an identical server - I'm considering buying another one for freeNAS. This would allow me to do a test run on my existing (identical) hardware, which would help identify any immediate issues. I'll do some research on the drivers.

Last edited:

curtii

Dabbler
To give better hints, what the purpose of this system / workload ?
I realized after posting I hadn't given any indication of this - Sorry about that.

Right now, it's running basic home file server functions. Primarily Unix systems accessing shares via NFS. I'm also running a number of applications with consistent 24/7 data access, like a bittorrent seedbox, and a bitcoin/altcoin wallet host. Right now, I understand the specs I'm looking at are overboard. I'm looking to give my network room to grow in regards to the storage solution.

Hope that helps, thanks!

curtii

Dabbler
Definitely get something better than that. Corsair RM or Seasonic G-Series should really be the lowest-quality stuff you look at.
I was wrong about the bronze-rated part - it's actually gold-rated. Edited that in my original post.

Is that what your concern was with that PSU? If not, what is?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was wrong about the bronze-rated part - it's actually gold-rated. Edited that in my original post.

Is that what your concern was with that PSU? If not, what is?
No, that's mostly secondary. The problem is that it's closer to being an El-Cheapo than it is to being a good model.

While there are exceptions, the best course of action is to stick with the really reputable brands (Corsair, though their product line is crummier than it used to be; Seasonic; high-end EVGA; and superflower).

Stux

MVP
Hello, and thanks in advance for any input.

I set up my first FreeNAS system a couple months ago on an old machine (which meets none of the hardware recommendations). The plan was to test out FreeNAS, and if I liked it (which I really, really do), to make a custom build to run it on based on recommended hardware. I'm now looking over parts, and coming up with a couple of potential configurations to decide between. The main consideration is Motherboard/CPU(s). The rest will likely not change between configurations

The first potential configuration I'm looking at would be to just pull something straight out of Cyberjock's article here (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/) that fits the needs/budget. I have a similarly priced build, which is the one I'm looking for input on. Here's the components list:

CPU's: 2x Xeon E5-2670 - $200 for both, used
Motherboard: Asus Z9PA-D8 - $330

Other components, which will likely be the same regardless of what CPU/Motherboard configuration I end up going with:
Memory: 8x Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM for 64GB total
ZFS pool Hard Drives: either Seagate NAS or WD Red
Boot device: 2x USB or 2x SATA DOM
PSU: Raidmax RX-850AE Gold-rated 850w

I built one of these systems already (CPU/Motherboard/Memory) for a different not-freeNAS server, and have been very happy with it. I'm unsure if this will be as suitable for freeNAS. It closely matches Cyberjock's recommendations, except for being an ASUS motherboard, instead of SuperMicro.

Those processors provided insane performance for cost in my other system. I understand that's probably way over the top for what I'm looking at using freeNAS for, but compared to my other options, the expense is similar.

Any input on this idea will be very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Have you seen that there's an updated hardware commendation article?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

I'm just concerned that you're dropping a lot of cash on an obselete motherboard, to use a pair of older CPUs which you admit are probably overkill.

Dice

Wizard
I agree to all points mentioned this far and would like to add a comment regarding CPU choices.
Even though it is arguably by far the most horsepower that amount, and probably a lot more too, can buy using that stash of cash. So far so ...cool. But good?
At the other end of huge horsepower (which is heavily attempting :p ) is a heft power bill and a lot of heat generated. A lot so, even sitting idle.

If the general goal of buying such powerful hardware would be to build a POWER HOUSE suitable to run <all duties> , replacing multiple other machines.. I'd be easily convinced this would be a cool project.
The way you describe the project ...it doesn't seem like you've the real need for this much horsepower. Even if it is cheap and tempting, I'd suggest you'd think it through and come up with an argument that convinces yourself that the <perks> of having a lot of horsepower outweighs potentially up to 3-5x higher power consumption on average.

For anecdotal evidence, I bought myself another system - well aware it would be a power hog of magnitude... Yet, I didn't realize that 4x higher power consumption converted my server location to an effective sauna, including the hall way. Not to mention the additional noise necessary to move enough air for cooling. At this point, I'm not even using that machine due to these properties. It was a huge cost and thus blow to my economy.

In your situation (the little of it that I know) I'd attempt to outsource the CPU heavy requirements to your other server, and aim for a lower power simple FreeNAS system. It is all the extras that need CPU power, not the core functionality of serving files. For reference, I was super scared my i3-6100 wouldn't be sufficient enough for the fun a FreeNAS box can provide. As it turns out, I've never seen it surpass 20% CPU Utilization. Last time it reached 18% was 2 months ago.

Hope this got your thoughts going.

Cheers, Dice

curtii

Dabbler
Thank you all so much for your input!

After considering all of it, I went back to the drawing board and decided to scrap the idea of using that older build, and going with something out of the recommended hardware guide. I do have questions regarding that though.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F. I haven't hammered down what memory I'm planning to get, but I will be getting ECC, probably registered LRDIMM even.

I'm having a hard time determining the best CPU to fit my needs though. I'm looking at Xeon E5-1620 v3 (~$340), or Xeon E5-2603 v3 (~$210). Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the extra $130? I've basically been looking for the least expensive CPU's that will work with the motherboard/registered RAM, and from what I can find, those are them.

What I'm trying to balance is not breaking the budget on the CPU, which if I understand correctly isn't generally a bottleneck. For this motherboard, I'm kind of pushed into higher end CPU's anyways. On the other hand, I want to make sure that I don't get too cheap with the CPU now, only to be wishing down the road that I had more CPU power (As I upgrade other components of the NAS/other aspects of my network)

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
I'm having a hard time determining the best CPU to fit my needs though. I'm looking at Xeon E5-1620 v3 (~$340), or Xeon E5-2603 v3 (~$210). Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the extra $130? I've basically been looking for the least expensive CPU's that will work with the motherboard/registered RAM, and from what I can find, those are them.
I'd pick the 1620 all day err day. There are benefits to higher clock frequency, in particular when using SAMBA/CIFS. That extra $130 is a no-brainer.
Regarding this selection, do you have any plans for using all NICS?
Here is an overview:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#2011

curtii

Dabbler
Regarding this selection [Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F], do you have any plans for using all NICS?
Here is an overview:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#2011

Immediately, no. The reason I chose it over X10SRH-CF-O was because that seems to be the only difference, and on Amazon, the price difference is <$10. Maybe I'm missing something else?

Also on the list of equipment I need to upgrade is my switch. Once I have a managed switch, I'm planning on setting up link aggregation on all systems that have multiple ethernet ports available. Once I do, and have the room on the switch, I'll definitely use all four.

As for the processor, thanks for your input. I'll gladly put down the extra money now if it's worthwhile to do so in the long run.

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Once I have a managed switch, I'm planning on setting up link aggregation on all systems that have multiple ethernet ports available.
That's not going to work the way it seems you hope it will.

curtii

Dabbler
That's not going to work the way it seems you hope it will.
To be honest, I'm not really sure how I expect that will work. Haven't yet had a chance to experiment with a managed switch / hosts with multiple ethernet ports. My understanding was with the right equipment, ports can be bonded to allow higher throughput.

I sure won't mind having 4x ports on the motherboard instead of 2x, for such a minor price difference. maybe I'm missing something else about those motherboard options though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My understanding was with the right equipment, ports can be bonded to allow higher throughput.
That's a dream. Like unicorns and rainbows, not "if only I had the right equipment". Basically, expect improvements only when dealing with several (many) clients. Proprietary stuff that magical bonds several 1Gb links aside.

Stux

MVP
What does work to get 6-9 times the bandwidth is to use 10gbe, but 4x1gbe does not equal 4gbit. it equals 1gbit.

curtii

Dabbler
What does work to get 6-9 times the bandwidth is to use 10gbe, but 4x1gbe does not equal 4gbit. it equals 1gbit.
That would make my day. Sadly, I won't have access to a 10gbit switch for home use for a while xD

I can still make use of the extra ports. For example, direct connect my VM server's second NIC to one of the FreeNAS host's ports, bypassing the switch. Anyways, while I could save a few bucks, I'll likely be getting that one unless the price difference changes.

curtii

Dabbler
Got another thought... I see some SAS host bus adapters available starting at just under $100. That's about the difference between X10SRH-CLN4F and X10SRi-F, and the only reason I was going with the first one was for SAS support. Would I be better off just getting the latter, and using a host bus adapter when I go to use SAS drives?

Dice

Wizard
Got another thought... I see some SAS host bus adapters available starting at just under $100. That's about the difference between X10SRH-CLN4F and X10SRi-F, and the only reason I was going with the first one was for SAS support. Would I be better off just getting the latter, and using a host bus adapter when I go to use SAS drives?
If you are planning on using a number of drives that fits onto the SATA connectinos on the motherboard for let's say a foreseeable future, I'd not be overly keen on pushing for the LSI3008 onboard chipset as a <must have>.
If you from the get-go was planning on using a SAS3 backplane solution - I'd be all over it. IIRC SAS3 cards on SAS2 backplanes (typically what you'll find second hand on mrrackable and alike on ebay).

So if you are looking into using the SATA ports on the motherboard and feel decently good about that amount of drives - and currently are browsing around for "what else should I get once I'm at it" ...I'd not vouch for LSI3008 nor the CLN4F packages. Mayhaps - the LSI3008 if going all wild and crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.