BUILD First FreeNAS Build -- Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batmanrob

Cadet
Greetings! I'm new to FreeNAS and would like some input on my build. I've been reading a lot of forum posts (cyberjock's hw recommendations and ericloewe's X10 threads were excellent). I don't want to go overboard, but I want to do it right.

This box will be for primary document/image/video backup from our desktops (the data is < 2TB and important and will remain backed up also in a secondary location) and also for shorter-term video storage and a Plex media server (another computer records and processes TV shows/movies and transfers to the NAS when complete).

For the motherboard it sounds like it will be fine as long as I get the updated BIOS. Since cyberjock's sticky was pre-9.3, is there a motherboard that is more recommended now? Or have any of those recommendations changed? https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

I wasn't planning on going with more than 6 hard drives, so it sounds like Z2 is the way to go. Will the 1GB network be the bottleneck? I read a few posts about performance problems with Z2 over Z1, but it seems like they occur more often when 4 or 5 HD are used?

Open to suggestions! Thanks!

Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PS: Corsair CS450M (I have a new one laying around, although if the Seasonic G-450 is that much better, I'll grab one)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLL+-F
CPU: Intel Core i3-4370 3.8GHz (or go up to a Xeon?)
Memory: Crucial 16GB DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered CT2KIT102472BD160B
HD: 6 x WD Red 3TB
USB: SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks like a great choice of parts for a first build that should serve you well for several years.

I'd be surprised of you got a motherboard with an older BIOS. Even if you do others have had luck recently obtaining the updated BIOS from supermicro and other users have reported that you can update it through the IPMI interface without a CPU in the board.

Your 1GB network adapter will be your bottleneck performance wise. A RAIDZ2 stripe of 6 drives will far outperform your network interface.

Your CPU choice looks good. Whether or not to get a Xeon as opposed to the i3 you listed is a personal choice. I went with a Xeon to future proof my build my reasoning being if I did want to upgrade in the future I wouldn't have to worry about selling off an i3 that I would be replacing.

Good on you for doing your homework before your first post. ;)

marbus90

Guru
It's a fine build in most aspects. Don't think about network adaptors, in reality your Gbe interface will be bored, because the raidz2 can't deliver many IOPS - just sequential, single-user troughput. And if you use LAGG, you are still limited to 1Gbe from each client to the server. As soon as multiple clients are accessing the server, you may reach higher troughput - but then the array can't deliver..

I've watched the CPU utilisation go as high as 40% on my E3-1241v3 whilst serving an NFS datastore for VMs via Gbe. An i3-4160 should be a good choice for you.

As a chassis I would pick a Fractal Define Mini or Arc Mini. But that's just das me, not liking ATX towers.. :)

batmanrob

Cadet
Thank you for the responses.
I think I talked myself into getting a Xeon after all (E3-1231V3 probably - maybe a little higher depending on price) - you're right, I don't want to have to deal with the upgrade later.
The Fractal Design cases look great but I didn't know the Define Mini existed - that will be perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.