Planning a TrueNAS SCALE Build with ASUS P11C-M/4L or ASUS WS C246M PRO

skafaliev

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I've been planning a new server build for running TrueNAS SCALE, some VMs, and Plex, and I wanted to get your thoughts and advice on my proposed setup. I'm looking to optimize both performance and power efficiency, so I've narrowed down my options to two motherboards, the ASUS P11C-M/4L and the ASUS WS C246M PRO. Here's what I have in mind:

Motherboard Options:

• ASUS P11C-M/4L
  • ASUS WS C246M PRO
CPU: I'm considering an Intel CPU with integrated graphics to save on power and costs, as I'll be running Plex and TrueNAS SCALE. I'd appreciate any recommendations for a suitable CPU that balances performance and efficiency.

Case: I'm planning to use the Fractal Design Node 804 case due to its compact size and good airflow. This case should provide enough space for the components I'm considering.

Storage: I'll be using 4 x 4TB HDDs for storage, which should give me a decent amount of space for my media files and data.

RAM: I'm torn between 32GB and 64GB of ECC RAM. While I understand that TrueNAS benefits from more RAM, I'm also mindful of power consumption. Any insights on the optimal amount of RAM for my use case would be appreciated.

Software: I intend to run Proxmox for managing virtual machines and containers, TrueNAS SCALE for my storage needs, and Plex for media streaming. I'm excited about TrueNAS SCALE's potential, but I'm also curious about any experiences others have had with this setup.

Power Efficiency: One of my main concerns is power consumption. I want to strike a balance between performance and energy efficiency to keep electrical costs in check. If anyone has experience with power-efficient configurations or components, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Overall, my goal is to create a versatile and efficient server setup that caters to my multimedia and virtualization needs. Your advice, experiences, and suggestions would be invaluable in helping me finalize my build. Feel free to share your thoughts on the motherboards, CPU, RAM, power consumption, or any other aspect of my plan.

Thank you in advance for your insights and feedback!