Looking for dedicated, slightly masochistic BETA testers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks!

If you're someone who has some spare hardware, cares about making sure that FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 will be the release everyone wants it to be when it ships, and are willing to put a little time and effort into testing the latest nightly builds, we'd like to invite you to join our newly re-launched freenas-testing@lists.freenas.org mailing list!

We won't lie. The 9.2.1.x series has been a bit rocky for us, partially because we bit off more than we could chew with the Samba3->Samba4 upgrade (though if we had to do it again, we'd probably still do it since Samba3 was years out of date) and partially because, well, we just couldn't seem to stop breaking things in the 9.2.1-BRANCH during our attempts to fix other things. We are now attempting to learn from our mistakes.

We're also taking our time with 9.2.1.6 because we'd really like it to be good and perhaps atone for some of our past sins. We know that the community would obviously like 9.2.1.6 to be really good too, shipping with all the bugs from 9.2.1.5 fixed and no new bugs introduced. So, if you would like to be a part of making that happen, please subscribe to the mailing list and follow the updates we'll be posting from the release engineering and QA teams as things progress!

Thanks,

- The FreeNAS Development Team

gearhead

Contributor
Is Samba 4.1.7 in ec41f14 beta release?

gearhead

Contributor
I am running ec41f14 beta. I was hoping that some of issues that I had reported previously to have been solved by Samba 4.1.7. But it seems that 4.1.7 hasn't fixed them.

J

jkh

I am running ec41f14 beta. I was hoping that some of issues that I had reported previously to have been solved by Samba 4.1.7. But it seems that 4.1.7 hasn't fixed them.

Yeah, I'm afraid Samba 4.x hasn't really been evolving at the pace we'd hoped it would, but can you cite some of the bug #s for the issues you're still grappling with, just to make sure we're all on the same page with them? We did just check in work-arounds for some of the permission issues folks have been hitting in 9.2.1.6-BETA-e8a3956, but without knowing which issues you're talking about, it's hard to say whether or not they're going to help or not. Thanks!

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
Just signed up. I have a 8 bay supermicro chassis with an X7 motherboard and lots of ram just waiting for beta tests. ;-)
Cant promise that i can test every nightly builded, but ill report bugs as they come by. ;-)
Keep up the nice work you are all doing.

TheSmoker

Patron
Hi jkh! It's an amazing thing what you are doing, and me and others as well, are grateful for not giving up on 9.2.1.x. ;)
I am on-board with the 9.2.1.6 testing and I have 2 questions:
- is there any bug page corresponding to 9.2.1.6, or we are going to use the one for 9.2.1.5?
- any chance to have UnixExtensions nss_ldap issue solved in this release?

Thanks and regards!

J

jkh

joeschmuck

Old Man
@jkh
Do you have a written test plan for FreeNAS? Were I work we develop software and have a very detailed testing plan. Some steps are general in nature and some are very detailed.

If you have a testing plan, it would be nice to share it and everyone could run through it and maybe someone else might have a test or specific test sequence that would be worth while to add to the testing plan.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
@jkh
Do you have a written test plan for FreeNAS? Were I work we develop software and have a very detailed testing plan. Some steps are general in nature and some are very detailed.

If you have a testing plan, it would be nice to share it and everyone could run through it and maybe someone else might have a test or specific test sequence that would be worth while to add to the testing plan.
THIS^^^^^

I'm a noob. I do need a bit of instruction. I may even be more trouble than I'm worth. I'm willing to try and help out if I can.

J

jkh

We're working on creating a more comprehensive test plan now. Up until now, all we've had are some very cursory checklists (which might cover all the major features, but don't say *how* to test them) or test plans for just very specific features, like CIFS. The next step is to create the full test plan which covers everything in detail. That will go up on Google docs (publicly viewable) as soon as it's worth looking at! Stay tuned.

Scareh

Contributor
nice jkh, if you actually pull that test plan off, i'm sure you'll have a lot more test people. At that point you may include me aswell.

joeschmuck

Old Man
We're working on creating a more comprehensive test plan now. Up until now, all we've had are some very cursory checklists (which might cover all the major features, but don't say *how* to test them) or test plans for just very specific features, like CIFS. The next step is to create the full test plan which covers everything in detail. That will go up on Google docs (publicly viewable) as soon as it's worth looking at! Stay tuned.
Thanks and trust me, I know very well that it's not easy to just toss together a test plan overnight. The good thing is with our group of testers there could be input on adding or changing the tests to become more inclusive. I honestly think that would give iXSystem a better product in the long run, this includes TrueNAS. We might not see another four digit FreeNAS version even :confused:.

J

jkh

I think this is the case what we are talking about #4628

Last comment in that bug is 9 days old and there have been several commits which claim to fix this, which make this bug potentially obsolete. This is why we would like people to test the 9.2.1.6-BETA nightlies. :) Please retest with 9.2.1.6-BETA-20140509 and update that ticket with status. Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
When I follow the nightly link I end up at (I didn't want this to be a link so it's in code brackets)
Code:
www.appfail.com

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Looks like the BETA testing is already paying off :D

Hentiki

Cadet
It's just not the nightly folder but the entire subdomain download.freenas.org
What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.