Last Minute Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And applying the update got it down to 153 MB. I had idly wondered where they stored the update files, but never when I was sitting down with easy access to the server.

Also a great reason not to store the system dataset on a USB flash drive used for booting. Updates are painful enough as it is - I dare not imagine the suckiness such a configuration would bring.

thatflashcat

Explorer
And applying the update got it down to 153 MB. I had idly wondered where they stored the update files, but never when I was sitting down with easy access to the server.

Also a great reason not to store the system dataset on a USB flash drive used for booting. Updates are painful enough as it is - I dare not imagine the suckiness such a configuration would bring.

I'm using a 120gb ssd for my bootdrive so I actually could move the system dataset to it, but I don't see any reason to.

Also, I'm going to have 4 shares that are all using the same 14 tb of effective storage, so does this mean that adding 500gb to one share will increase the data usage of all other shares by the same amount? They technically aren't storing said 50gb but they all run from the same pool.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm using a 120gb ssd for my bootdrive so I actually could move the system dataset to it, but I don't see any reason to.
You'd want a mirror, because the system will crash if it loses the dataset.

thatflashcat

Explorer
You'd want a mirror, because the system will crash if it loses the dataset.
Makes sense.

Also, I'm getting between 30 and 100 MB (megabyte) per second transfer speed when copying my pictures from my windows system to the NAS. The read/write performance was around 110 MB/s in crystal disk mark so I am not sure why it would be so slow while transferring files. I checked and SMBv1 is disabled. Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm getting expected transfer speeds when copying large video files, so it would seem the low transfer speed is only an issue when copying multiple small files.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It could very well be the source, too.

thatflashcat

Explorer
All right here is another question: I've setup my permissions such that the root user owns the dataset and my user group is the owner. I then shared this without guest access and was able to easily access it on my windows computers using the users in the group. However, I can also access the shares *without* a password through network discovery. I have guest access disabled on the share and everything appears to be set correctly, according to what I can find on the internet. I'm guessing I missed a setting but I'm not sure where.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Default permissions allow everyone to read. That's something you need to edit from a client.

Status
Not open for further replies.