keeping all jails in a subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

storiology

Cadet
Hello,
I'm trying to make a specific configuration, where the local network will only see one IP, and generated jails will live on a subnet, with FreeNAS forwarding appropriate traffic on specified ports, and the jails retaining connection to the internet.
I've been trying tutorials here and there, but I'm at a bit of a loss on getting the setup I'm looking for.

By example:
192.168.1.100:22 handles sftp and is working as intended as a backup server.
When I generate jails now, they are assigned 192.168.1.101, 192.168.102, etc.
So a music server will live on 192.168.1.101:4040, web interfaces on 192.168.1.102:8337, etc.

I'd rather have the jails exist on the same IP, and simply have their ports forwarded to the host, perhaps through a 10.0.0.0/8 subnet.

I had something like that working well on CORRAL with docker, but I don't really need them to be docker images, so I'd rather get jails running, rather than recapitulate a VM/docker structure.

Any advice on how to best achieve what I'd like to with jails?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Reverse proxy is what you want to do. Set it up in a jail so it forwards all the traffic to where you want it to go. There's a tutorial listed in the forums.

Swift-R

Dabbler
Reverse proxy is what you want to do. Set it up in a jail so it forwards all the traffic to where you want it to go. There's a tutorial listed in the forums.
Mind sharing that tutorial? I can't seem to find it...
Also looking into accessing jails using FreeNAS's IP address like Docker in Corral did.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It's just a simple reverse proxy with nginx. There's a ton of tutorials out there on the web on how to set it up, you'll have to figure out the specifics for your needs.

This thread might get you going in the right direction but again you'll have to figure out the specifics for yourself.

Swift-R

Dabbler
It's just a simple reverse proxy with nginx. There's a ton of tutorials out there on the web on how to set it up, you'll have to figure out the specifics for your needs.

This thread might get you going in the right direction but again you'll have to figure out the specifics for yourself.
Ah, right. I thought it was possible through the FreeNAS UI without the use of third parties.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Nope, you'll have to roll your own. It's really not that difficult. Do a little research to educate yourself and you should be able to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.